First time getting eggs

Okay YALL this is my very first time breeding Crested geckos, I paired my male and female September 1st for a few days and removed the female for a few days and paired again for a few days and then removed her and did not pair her again, I never seen them lock up and what I did see was the female running away from the male and she’s a 1st time breeder, but the last few weeks I noticed her not eating like usual and digging around all in the soil and I would check the soil and no eggs, but she kept digging up the soil for the next few days so I just checked again and Boom she literally just laid 2 Eggs, do y’all think these eggs are fertile and with the incubator container im using do I need to put a small air hole in it because I know some people do with ball Python egg boxes but not sure if I need to? Im so excited right now and hope these are fertile and if someone can give me some tips and some help on what I need to do

1 Like

You paired them very late,
Pair them end of feb/March next time, as they lay roughly from March - September/October.
To check they’re fertile use your phone light to see if there’s a red cheerio (red ring).
They usually also dig a couple weeks before laying so try not to mess up where she digs next time as then she’s got to do it all again :sweat_smile:

Also incubating wise, in a tub with some substrate is fine, make sure it’s a bit moist, don’t over wet it! And yes a few air holes. :grin:

4 Likes

Okay thank you so much for responding and giving me tips and advise… I will definitely do what u said next time, this is new for me and I’m trying to learn and be successful at it

1 Like

One more question isn’t it true that she can lay again I read that they can lay multiple times

1 Like

That’s ok, happy to help!
They lay monthly. So from March-September/October. I even have a female who lays November also. :blush:

2 Likes

Okay so her only being paired those few times and now she’s been separated and in her enclosure by her self she can still lay more eggs from not being paired again

1 Like

I just candled the eggs and there not Fertile unfortunately but it’s part of it and now I know she is ready and I’ll pair her up in February

Incubate them anyways. I wasn’t sure about one of my eggs and just as I was convinced it wasn’t good it hatched.

Incubate until there’s no debate!

4 Likes

Can you send us a pic of the eggs being candled?

1 Like

If you caught as soon as laid check in a couple days again x

I forgot to press send last night as passed out I was so tired :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yeah I will send a pic of them when I get home here soon because I went ahead and put them in the hatch box just in case

2 Likes

Congrats on your first eggs! This is how the addiction starts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes