Flooding Fundraiser for Shaun/saleengrinch

As some may know, areas of St Louis were hit by devastating flash floods recently. A lot of people lost their entire livelihoods, one of those being one of our very own MRC family members, @saleengrinch.

Shaun’s home was hit hard. He lost nearly everything on the lower floors and his car was written off. Other than around 20 animals they managed to save, Shaun has lost his entire reptile collection, including 50+ ball pythons, children’s pythons, several incubating clutches, racks, incubators and thermostats.

Just days before the flood hit, Shaun’s incubator had started seeing some movement, with a few more clutches of his season pipping. Unfortunately, he has lost more than just his breeders and pets; he has lost his future projects and a decade worth of work as well.

His losses are not limited to animals, as everything on his lower level was under the water line, including a washer, dryer, furnace, and hot water heater, plus general damage to the home. The flooding damage to the house was not covered by insurance as it has never flooded previously and was not built on a flood plain.

As many of us have seen, Shaun is a great friend and one of the most active and generous members of our community and he needs our help during this difficult time.

26 Likes

Hey, I know that no amount of words will ever bring your house and your animals back but I sorry that this happened to you my friend. I can’t even imagine how you feel right now. Shaun, I hope that you know that my prayers are with you and if I was able to fly out there I would come and help you with whatever you need. Stay strong, it is alright to be broken by this, we are all here for you.

24 Likes

That’s devastating! I’m so sorry to hear it. Sorry I couldn’t donate more.

13 Likes

Dang! That is awful! Once i get paid next weds, ill definitely throw a donation his way. @saleengrinch when you are up and running again, whenever that is in the future, if i have anything hatch that you are missing by then, gimme a shout, im sure i wont have nearly what you lost, but id love to help you rebuild your collection if you choose to :).

Edit: as an aside, perhaps if you post up a “wish list” to help rebuild your projects, other breeders may be willing to donate animals even if they dont have direct monetary help. Though admitedly im sure there is alot of infrastructure rebuild at a basic level before that would help if your house, electrical, and racks got messed up. But for the future, could help :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I’m not honestly sure if I’ll get back into snakes this has been pretty tough. My main focus is getting my home livable again. Currently I’m unable to live there the flooding was very high and basically destroyed my finished basement and everything in it.

19 Likes

Im at a loss for words, I’m so sorry. We will help in anyway we can.

13 Likes

As others have said, I can’t even put into words how sorry I am to hear this. I’m glad you’re safe and okay, and so sorry for your losses. Hang in there Shaun, you’re in all of our thoughts.

14 Likes

That’s horrible, I’m so sorry that happened to you! I can’t even imagine how bad that must feel. You’ve been a huge inspiration to me and many other people. I would love it if you decided to get back in the hobby once everything is finished, but I totally understand if you decide not to.

15 Likes

Understandable, over the past year and a half as ive tried to just get off the ground with this, and how much ive had to invest, i have gotten a huge appreciatio for how much work you long timers have put into this to be where you are. I cant imagine being decades in and having to start all over. So whatever your choice on whether to continue, i wish you the best of fortune moving forwards.

I hope you are able to get your life back in order, and hope insurance will cover at least some of the damages. Either which way, the amount of knowledge you bring to this community is irreplaceable, so i hope you dont become a stranger :).

11 Likes

Thank you that means a lot for real :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you I’m trying unfortunately insurance covers nothing. So clean up and restoration lies on me.

Thankfully I have had a lot of help from my girlfriend and son don’t know where I’d be without them.

23 Likes

I’m so sorry this happened to you @saleengrinch ! I am thankful though that you, your son, and girlfriend are all alive. I know this has to be devastating, and I know that was years upon years of your life taken from you overnight. I hope you’re able to salvage what you can from your home, and are able to rebuild up again soon. I know you said you might not get back into snakes, but I hope we will see you back in the years to come. The community is behind you!

14 Likes

Oh my god I feels so bad I mean you just lost the last decade of work if I had money I would send a donation 100%

6 Likes

Gotcha, wasnt sure if you had flood insurance since you live in florida, but i am glad you have family helping you :).

6 Likes

I live in The suburbs of St. Louis. Used to live in Jacksonville lol

8 Likes

My gosh man I am so sorry- there are no good words of comfort for this. So glad you’re safe, and your loved ones. Hope we can help a bit.

9 Likes

There aren’t any words for such a devastating life affecting event. On a positive note you have a lovely looking family. I 2nd all the kind things that have been said and will certainly be making contributions and sharing throughout my own contacts and hobby community. You have been there for so many and were a big help to those in Texas affected last year by the freeze.

I haven’t mentioned it yet because I was wanting to surprise you. I know your appreciation for champagne and 1 of my most anticipated clutches this season was to show you the results of my pastave banana ghost x champagne(het gstripe). They only just all shed out and I’m blown away by them but could only think about what you’re opinion would be.

I’m old enough to know that life is too short and always has unexpected turns, even though we’ve never met in person I can tell from how you handle yourself here that you definitely have what it takes to get through this.

When the time is right if you ever decide to rebuild your collection I’m offering several donations to help, starting with the above mentioned and a variety of others including carpets & Brazilian Rainbows and equipment.

I wish you, your family and your community affected by this God’s speed in recovery. If I can do anything besides donations please don’t hesitate to ask or PM me.

15 Likes

Doh! It says saint louis right in the post, no idea where i got florida from! Either way i wish you a speedy recovery all the same. It always sucks when life pushes you down, but it is an opportunity to start fresh as well, use this time to grow closee with your family and you community, itll just be a memory in the future :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m so sorry, I can’t imagine how hard this must be for you. Such an awful situation :sob:

I’ll see if I can help out a bit once my fiancé starts working again, I should be able to allocate more funds to other things by then :heart:

8 Likes

To anyone unable to directly donate- sharing on social media is another great way to help out! :+1:

14 Likes