Foundation Genetics, learning genetics from the bottom up!

As some of you might have seen we have started a Breeder Collaborative for Crested Gecko Foundation Genetics. It is a document to help the Crested Gecko community get up to speed with how genetics function in Crested geckos to create nearly all the phenotypes we find in the industry.

If there is anything to take away from this video, it is that we are crossing lines, collaborating, putting aside ego, working together, and sharing information to start to finally unravel what’s happening with this species. So join the discussion as we help to show how even small breeders can contribute.

Here it is in Tom’s own words:
It is an hour-long discussion, that shares a collaborative effort, to better understand crested gecko genetics and build a foundation for our community. Decades of experience and a year of brainstorming sessions have gone into this project. People have set aside their differences, openly shared information, and had discussions without feelings being hurt and egos getting in the way. Be sure to check out the related document for the list of contributors and more genetic information.

Document:

Video Introduction:

strong text

9 Likes

I love this…I was actually go to be working on a topic that would be asking for help in this area. Wonderful topic!!

3 Likes

OMG This is amazing. I’m planning on breeding my Cresties and this info has definitely helped me understand a little more, that being said…I am lost on a lot of it. I’ve just gone on the websites so I’ve got plenty more to learn about.

People have said to me, you don’t know what your Cresties will produce etc and I’m glad to know that this isn’t necessary the case.

I am looking forward to this expanding and my many hours of reading :grin:

Thanks for posting it

3 Likes

Ask questions and we will try to address as many as possible in future Videos.

3 Likes

Great thanks.

I’m hoping to work with the soft scale gene pool, got my first soft scale this year… His just a baby so will be a while before I breed him, but this info will help me decide on his future pairings.

I’ve also got don’t other lined up for next year that I wasn’t too sure what to pair with, but this info is helping me decide.

I’ve still got so much reading to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to see you got this posted here. I had intended to post it on Friday but my day went crazy and I was not able to

1 Like

A project like this is very admirable, in my opinion. You guys set a good example!
:star_struck:
There is way too much jealousy, ungratefulness and pure bullying among animal breeders as it is. We need more projects like this one! More co-labs. Help each other, to improve the future of our reptilian hobby.

4 Likes

Very cool! As a huge biology nerd, this project makes me so excited! Maybe folks can give me some insight into a little quirk I’ve noticed in my own geckos as a newbie breeder? Are there any traits that would cause crest-like spikes to appear in places away from the pins? Like say a broken line of pointier scales similar to crests but growing from near the ear and down the sides of the neck instead of being from the edges of the head and down the dorsal sides? I have a male that has a few scattered odd pointy scales, easy to not notice much or pay attention to. One of his offspring has presented with a few spikes from near the ear hole in a broken line partway back through the neck. Any ideas? Casey Renner on Instagram: "Trying to figure out what brought these crests so far down as to be on the side of the neck instead of on the dorsal. Cresteds are so fascinating."

4 Likes

Maybe @ghoulishcresties and @foxreptile have an idea?

2 Likes

Happens with more structures, scale structures, and animals. It is genetic and you can control it.

3 Likes

I have it with a few of mine, still learning about this, the larger scales/spikes on sides, But defo can be passed on!

Also have a couple with larger head scales, so will be interesting to see what happens when they’re breeding next year!

3 Likes

Fascinating! Is it at all related to the furry trait? Knowing other folks have had this happen makes me wonder what can be done with it.

2 Likes

This isn’t really something I’ve worked with yet. But very interesting.

Some pics would be great!

I assume furry trait or another trait itself.

Seems ‘extreme furries’ have a lot of lather spikes on their side!

2 Likes

I’m tempted to seek out others with similarly placed spikes and maybe start a project to explore this a bit.

2 Likes

I would recommend that…

2 Likes

Ooooo I have this fella. I’ll have to see what he produces this year :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My very dark male toothless has this all over his sides :black_heart:

3 Likes

Oooooo. I love toothless :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes