Future breeders coming up in the next couple of years

Here are some pictures of future breeders. Except for the big white and yellow guy he is a jungle corn 5 years and haven’t found a female for him yet. I know one of the pictures is a female peanut butter king snake. There is a female crimson het anery het amel. There is a male Anery Masque unknown hets. Female Charcoal masque het caramel het amel het motley. Male Caramel het amel he is also a tessara. Female Amel stripe het Palmetto het caramel. Female motley snow hypo. Male Palmetto caramel het amel.

6 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous collection you have!

Pretty snakes! Love the chunk of aberrant pattern that one has.

2 Likes

Thanks. Can’t wait til they are older. Trying to find an adult female for my jungle corn. He is 5 years. They are a good bunch.

With the palmetto having ‘bug eyes’ are you still able to breed or will this pass on?

From alot of research done and still researching I will breed him to prove out what is really going on. From what I understand the bug eye does happen at random. However if you were to continue inbreeding from the same line with Palmettos then it will cause bug eyes and other problems.

I was looking into them as they’re beautiful and seems more often than not they have the bug eyes. I never really found a definite answer as to why…
@t_h_wyman Not sure if you have any idea?

Like I said I am going to breed it to my amel stripe het Palmetto het caramel to see what happens. I’m not trying to be irresponsible it’s also trying to discover facts. From what I’ve looked into so far I does happen at random and doesn’t happen with all Palmetto. Like o said if you were to continue breeding the same family line then it will cause bug eyes.

The morphpedia article addresses the bug eye thing a bit. So far it seems to only be present in males, to varying degrees. https://community.morphmarket.com/t/morphpedia-corn-snakes-palmetto/24562

And I know Travis has done a good write-up on blue eyed leucistic animals and the relation to bug eyes. I’ll have to look around and see if I can find it.

Edit to add: here’s a recent post where he mentioned it: Morph Issues [Ball Pythons] - #107 by t_h_wyman

1 Like

Cheers for this. I have seen some females with some really sever bug eyes.

Interesting. I haven’t worked with Palmetto personally (although I’d love to!), so the morphpedia article is mostly going off the word of Don Soderberg, who has bred a lot of palmettos and said he doesn’t see bug eyes in females at all. What is your ratio of males with bug eyes to females with bug eyes? And are your females proven?

I don’t doubt Don, he is a fantastic breeder and one of the best. I’m just saying through research and work I’ve done that females can get bug eyes aswell. Yes I would say it affects males more than females, also females can get it. I had a female 5 years back that laid me 8 eggs. All were Palmetto. 5 males and 3 females. Out of the 5 males 4 were bug eye and 1 was not. Out of the 3 females 1 was and 2 were not. I’m getting back into breeding colubrids and breeding Palmettos. Yes I would say males are affected more. I would also say it happens at random and not all the time. Some bug eye can be so bad that I would not breed that specimen at all. Alot of inbreeding amongst Palmettos causes bad bug eye aswell. My boy only had slight bug eye. When he is ready and my female het Palmetto is ready I will breed them.

1 Like

Bug-eyes are not sex-dependent. Females can have them the same as males. The phenotype is tied to the leucism gene. You have the gene, you have the propensity to bug eye