Future Pet Projects (Feedback Helpful!)

Just remember that gargs do get slightly larger than cresties and some of them may need a larger enclosure (18x18x36 or 24x18x24) which are both roughly 40 gallons. that is the equivalent of what a small male STP would need. It is vertical so not as big of a foot print but thought I should still mention it.

I think you meant first 4. Potato would be very disappointed if he saw this

2 Likes

I’m so sorry Potato you’re absoluted right!

And that’s a fair space assessment, I haven’t yet looked too far into the space requirements for a blood

2 Likes

If you were going to go on the large side for a garg, I’d recommend going with the 24x18x24, or even something like a 36x18x18. I personally have experienced that garg’s like the room to walk around, a little more than they do climbing up and down. Of course you can accomplish this with more horizontal branches, but just a thought.

Glad to see Garg’s are #1 on the list lol

3 Likes

This is super helpful thank you!
I always want to be able to give my critters the best size/orientation for their needs, so this is great to know

3 Likes

I hope to build my own enclosures, have any of you compared the integrity of wood builds over PVC sheet builds?

4 Likes

4x2x2 (or christmas tree tubs) are usually considered the best size. However males on the smaller (3.5-4 feet) side should be able to comfortably live in a 40 gallon. They really do stay pretty similarly sized to ball python just with a lot more chonk and potential a bit longer.

4 Likes

I use a 4’x2’x18" enclosure for my blood girl. They don’t really need much vertical height, as they are decidedly not built for climbing, and they’re also not terribly active in general. In other words, they’re not really a species where “bigger is better,” at least in my opinion. So long as they have enough space to thermoregulate and stretch out a bit, they’re good to go. Lots of people keep them in enclosures that are considerably smaller, but personally, I didn’t want to go smaller than a 4x2 footprint, especially for a female.

4 Likes

Perfect! Transitioning a baby up through the needed sizes is what worries me, I like the idea of just making one enclosure but idk if you could make a baby feel safe even with a bioactive and tons of clutter

5 Likes

Pff me too man, me too

5 Likes

I used a series of Sterilite latching bins for my blood girl as she grew. Inexpensive and effective. I did get her a nice AP PVC enclosure and did it up naturalistic with a cork bark background for her adult enclosure, but I didn’t go bioactive. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh this might be a convenient method, okay thank you!

4 Likes

Unless you are purposely trying to ruin an enclosure by throwing it off the cliff, then there shouldn’t be much of a difference as long as the enclosures are built properly.

Once again SerpaDesign is the king of enclosures so I would watch some of his enclosure build videos but I would personally start with wood enclosures as it is going to be a lot cheaper if you mess up than with PVC. Another huge plus with wood is that as long as it is sealed properly would last just as PVC but is a lot more environmentally friendly than PVC.

3 Likes

Okay perfect, I was hoping to work with wood, I just happened to re-watch Serpa’s big bearded dragon build last night and he used PVC board so I figured I would ask!

2 Likes

His New Cal enclosures along with his kingsnakes enclosure are both good examples that were really helpful.

4 Likes

Okay perfect, I have both of those saved in my ‘Animal Enclosures’ playlist already!

I’ll need to watch over and over to figure out his door set-ups, for some reason that part of the builds doesn’t make sense to my brain. Plus a swing door for a garg v. a sliding door for snakes are two different issues

3 Likes

I currently have a leo and I do love him a lot! I just mainly didn’t have one on the list since arid bioactives are more difficult (but not impossible!)

4 Likes

With their humidity requirements and liquid urine output, I’d personally be hesitant to use wood for a blood python. Granted, I don’t know much about sealing wood, so maybe there’s a sealant that would work, but I feel that PVC is ideal for them.

3 Likes

Sorry I must’ve missed that!

3 Likes

You’re totally fine, I appreciate the input!

3 Likes

I’ll keep this in mind as I look more into it, I know there are several ways to seal wood but like you I don’t know enough about them to say

3 Likes