Gender confirmation?

Pierogi, my crested gecko, was nice enough to stick her butt right against the glass for a photo tonight. I’ve been calling her a her since I got her, but I would love some of you crestie experts to let me know if I’m wrong! No breeding plans or anything, just want to know for my own curiosity. Also wondering how common it is for virgin females to lay infertile eggs?

2 Likes

Hi, I would personally say that she looks like a male. You can visibly see a bulge in this photo :arrow_down:

1 Like

And from what I hear from @ghoulishcresties and @foxreptile they use it as an indicator when a female is breedable, guys correct me me if I’m wrong, lol.

1 Like

I’d say female as no pores. Females can have a bulge, esp around toilet time…plus if it was a male, the bulge would have a line/dip in the middle splitting the balls providing it is an adult.

What weight / age is the Crestie?

Going by my Cresties, if infertile they have no routine as to how often they lay most of mine only laid 2 times a year if never bred.

I wouldn’t breed a Crestie just because it laid eggs, weight is more important. I’ve had a few girls lay eggs but aren’t at weight. I wouldn’t breed till min 40g but ideally 45g

I did a little bit of info on ways to tell the sex if you would like a read it

how to tell the sex of a crested gecko

3 Likes

Looks female. Side pic will help.

Lol :joy: I forgot that they need pores :rofl:

4 Likes

I would say female, one of my females has a similar bulge and it looks slightly different from a males.

2 Likes

I would say female.

2 Likes

Not breedable no, But nearing breedable.
As I’ve had females lay as young as 9/10 months old. But until over a year and 45+g I won’t breed them :blush:

3 Likes

The bilateral lumps are actually from the hemipenes, I believe. The testes are up by the kidneys.

3 Likes

I was having trouble finding the right words :laughing:

1 Like

Speaking of hemipenes, I saw Narutos for the the first time yesterday when he decided to be on full display on the glass!

This people is why you don’t go into a males viv after touching the ladies!
They get all worked up and out they come! :joy:

3 Likes