Green Ghost - Request to add Gene

With respect, how long have you been in the ball game and how many of the old-timers have you spoken with? When personal conversations with people like Ralph and Tracy and Greg and Ian get downgraded to “an assumption” I kind of get rankled…

Here is the thing, there was never a “regular Hypo”. All of these lines were called somthingorother Ghost until a handful of us started pushing the Hypo epithet to bring the ball hobby in to line with the rest of the herp hobby where the use of “Ghost” meant a combination morph of Hypo and Anery (or Axanthic).

If you had posted those pictures up without calling them GreenGhosts, I would have taken them as just any other Hypo.

The existing lines of Ghost “Hypo” are not hypomelanistic, they are hypopigmented. All of the pigmentation in them is reduced, not just the melanin.

In most cases you would probably be safe. That said, there is a line of Hypo that originated from GulfCoast Reptiles that proved to be incompatible and caused quite a bit of turmoil about a decade back. Additionally, the original “Blue Ghost” (not to be confused with the animal that popped up a couple years ago by the same name) was not compatible. Further, Greg had three different Hypo lines; G1, G2, and G3, that were not compatible with the “Orange Ghost” group and were also not compatible with one another.

So there are certainly some lines of non-compatible Hypo out there

2 Likes

Makes sense. I can’t really recall anyone using the full label “hypomelanistic” or “hypopigmented”, always just “ghost” or “hypo”, maybe I heard Justin K. call it “hypomelanistic” once, I assumed hypo was short for hypomelanism.

Oh, those that use “Hypo” are using it as shorthand for hypomelanistic. I just have not had the energy to wage that battle after all the other course corrections I have had to enact over the years LOL.

3 Likes

If only there was someone out there creating a… say… Encyclopedia… with all of this information

3 Likes

I got in a WC female adult “Green Ghost” back in around 2003. I bred her and then bred her back to her offspring and produced her genetic. I then bred the Green Ghost into the Orange Ghost line and they are not compatible.

So, Green Ghost is it’s own distinct morph that is not compatible with other lines of Ghost/Hypo. I have been producing visual Green Ghosts since around 2006 and have shipped them all over the world.

3 Likes

Thank you Corey, that is good information to have.

Based on this it seems there are/were multiple GreenGhost lineages (I know I rememeber seeing animals labeled Green pre-2003). However, if most of the Green in the hobby trace back to your stock, then we seem to have the clarity we need

2 Likes