Greetings from Alien

Young mega mantis

11 Likes

Are they really called mega mantises? That’s badass!

3 Likes

yes this species is. They are big things

4 Likes

Ok this might be kind of a silly question, but I’m curious- can you hold mantises? Or do they bite/fly away?

3 Likes

From my little experience with them only the males can fly. I would think you could handle them but it’s probably like tarantulas where they aren’t the best at being handled and it stresses them out.

3 Likes

How long do these live for?

Can’t find too much on these guys, but most mantises live for around a year. Bugs aren’t usually long lived creatures.

2 Likes

yea about a year. You can hold them, well they will sit on your hand. These species are rather aggressive tbh

2 Likes

Does their bite hurt much? I assume nothing to painful.

2 Likes

YES it bloomin does lol they carry on chewing too!!!

2 Likes

Last bug that bit me that hurt pretty bad was one of those assassin bug beetle things. It made a loud hiss then said screw it and bit me when I tried to get it out of the house. They are black with orange/reddish markings and are kinda beetle like but skinnier. I wonder exactly what their called :thinking: but I wont be picking one of those up again thats for sure. Mean lil bugger…

2 Likes

ewww ya know those and the predatory beetles are the only inverts i’m not keen on! Gimme the creeps lol

1 Like

Them Assasin bugs are evil…I heard they have parasites in their poop that can cause severe infections in humans.

2 Likes

even worse

2 Likes

Ya the “kissing bug” variety. They like to bite around the lips and can transmit a parasite I forgot the name of at the moment.

2 Likes

no way gross lol

1 Like