Growth spurt

I always weigh after poops. This girl actually lost weight (40ish grams) from late July to late September. Very frustrating and slow going.

She turned 2 years old last month and idk what switch flipped in her but she’s been murdering food the last 4 weeks and I knew there were going to be some serious gains. Pooped today so I caught a weight and I’m shocked at the growth.

09/21: 1256g
10/18: 1599g :flushed::flushed:

Now I don’t think she’s totally empty…but even after this next shed when I expect her to poop again we’re looking at a growth spurt that I haven’t seen yet with my collection. I think she’s going to be ready to go soon. Very excited and after what a slow frustrating summer it has been pretty relieved to see some progress! Keep eating Makeda :heart:

11 Likes

It’s that time of the year, give her what she wants & hopefully you’ll be rewarded in the next few months! Good luck brotha!!

3 Likes

Thank you! She’s always been the best eater in my collection. Hasn’t taken a meal off tongs in months but if she shows so much as a tongue flick of interest I just lay the prey item down beside her and she takes it.

I have a 2100g normal female, I can’t even get the rat in the tub, she’ll launch out a foot soon as she smells it

1 Like

My pied girl is like that and feeding her absolutely terrifies me. While I’m glad she’s a good eater, I do wish she were slightly more patient because I can barely get the tub open before she comes flying out to grab her rat

3 Likes

Most of my pieds I’ve owned have been like that with the exception of a few.

But if you’re terrified of that( I know not literally terrified like for your life lol) don’t ever own reticulated pythons :joy:.

4 Likes

And there’s damn near no handling her, she’ll hit my arms with her mouth closed while trying to hold her, but it may be just “that time”. But she’s got attitude for sure

My killerblast het pied used to launch out of her old tubs when I would open them up but since moving to this new rack her feeding response has gone way down unfortunately.
But she almost got my fingers a couple times this spring lol

Hahaha, it’s part of the reason I don’t even have a boa. I’m a small person and don’t ever want to get myself into a situation with an animal I can’t safely handle

1 Like

I understand that without question. Good to know your limits that’s for sure.

1 Like

@mnroyals Totally agree feeding my female retic is sketchy at best lol.

1 Like

@saleengrinch I here ya man. Sometimes I’m not sure I’ll leave with all my fingers lol. Just a battle getting them to not fly out like those darn flying monkeys from Wizard Of Oz. Definitely keeps you on your toes.
Sorry @thecrawdfather , not trying to go off topic just got carried away a bit.

2 Likes

If the discussion is flowing I for one could care less the subject.

I’ve been blown away by the increased feeding response and overall health and plumpness of the live prey I have been getting locally. Making plans immediately to start a small ASF colony should be getting the starters in December sometime.

1 Like

Have you been feeding her ASF? That’s an insane spurt if that’s what she is on currently. That girl should be ready in no time.

1 Like

No she’s actually been the only one to stay on frozen thawed out of my collection. And she doesn’t take anything off tongs anymore period…but if I lay the prey item down next to her she eats it. I have her on the small+ size from American Rodent (ARS ppl) they’re about 80g each but she’s been taking 2 of them at a time. Actually took 4 of them last week, which I would not usually offer her but she ate hers, then when my other ones refused their f/t again I laid them in there and she ate 2 more. Miss Piggy waiting for her Kermit lol.

2 Likes

Nice, good she’s still on f/t. And the fact she ate 4 small rats, wow man she’s ravenous! That’s a lot for any ball to be willing to eat.
Definitely a little miss piggy :joy:.

1 Like

It wasn’t quite all in one sitting, 2 on her normal feeding day (Saturday) and 2 the following Monday when I tried to get my others to take f/t after they took a live rat. But still. Yeah she’s a pig. Always was…just took a weird break this summer when no one ate well for me

3 Likes

That’s still one heck of a feeding response.
Good to hear they seem to be getting back on track.
Yeah that is weird having a food strike in summer, when I experienced that it would come around December, except my males started to fast around October-November. But a lot of people think it’s concerning when that happens( not you in particular mostly new keepers) but it’s more normal than abnormal for them to fast.

2 Likes

I think it’s the clear tubs I moved them to. I don’t really WANT to completely black out the fronts but I’m going to have to start trying some different ideas, I want to get everyone back on f/t

It could be. They hate change.
That’s why I’ve always started my hatchlings out in the tub they’ll live their life in. I use
V-70 tubs for all my balls when I had them. Always had good feeding responses that way, but what works for me doesn’t necessarily work for the next keeper.
Blacking our the front is a good idea, I wouldn’t want to either but it may work.