Heat Source For Ball Python

What Heating source would be good for this enclosure? i do know UTH will not work… I have read that they don’t need light from what I read on here. Thanks for Reading Jay

2 Likes

I think a Radiant heat panel, Deep heat projector, ceramic heat emitter, or just the classic lights can work. Which one depends on your houses humidity and temperature along with what exactly you are looking for. I would also recommend having a cheap LED light on a 12 hours on 12 hours off schedule to create a natural day/night if you aren’t using a light for heating. While they don’t need it, it is still beneficial for them and helps to create a more natural habitat

I am not going to lie, I think I will always like overhead heating better than UTH.

6 Likes

Having a light cycle is important for their circadian rhythm. They aren’t bothered by it, as long as your enclosure is properly set up. Of course individual personalities vary and some morphs might be more sensitive to light than others. But overall as a species, light does not hurt them.

I personally love halogens! They replicate the sun’s natural wave lengths pretty well and a lot of animals love basking under them (ball pythons are a species that are more likely to cryptic bask than fully bask, i.e. they’ll only stick out a small part of themselves to bask, like their tail sticks out of their hide. Some still fully bask). They do produce light, so at night you can use a ceramic heat emitter or if your room temps are warm enough (minimum of 70F), you don’t need heat at night.

You can also just use a CHE day and night. With any heat bulb, you will need a guard so the snake doesn’t touch the bulb. There’s also radiant heat panels

5 Likes

I was looking at some heat panels but what I was finding was hot to the touch.

2 Likes

I feel that they are the perfect heating lol

2 Likes

That’s how heat panels work. For reptiles, they’re supposed to be designed where they aren’t able to crawl on top or in any crevices of it. The most they should be able to touch them is a quick tap which won’t cause damage. There are (non-reptile specific) heat panels out there that do have enough space for reptiles to crawl into, causing them to be burned/cooked alive. As long as they are reptile-specific and properly installed, they should be safe.

Agreed!! Every animal I’ve used them with has seemed to prefer that type of heating. It’s just more natural over UTHs. Even my sand boa really enjoys hers. She basks pretty often, even if it’s just her tail sticking out of the dirt lol

5 Likes

I’ll have to look deeper into the panels and locate a good one for Ball pythons

2 Likes

Try something like this! - VE Radiant Heat Panels

3 Likes

Hmmmmm @grumpy_jm Jay…. Are these stackable??? :joy:

Yes they are. You just have to buy a cheap set of spacers for a whopping $12

1 Like

Yay! That means more snakes @grumpy_jm Jay. :snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake:!!!

1 Like

Heat panel would me my choice.
When it comes to light, it is true that in most cases l, it does not hurt. As for if it is needed, no. As long as there is room light (even just light cycling through the window from the sun, is really all they need. Old school thought was you need light on a timer, but that has since been changed. You won’t see and big breeder or anyone using racks use a light source. All are healthy, eat right, breed and act normal.

3 Likes

I agree with halogens! They also typically emit some UVA which is beneficial to them, and it helps stimulate their appetite. My boy became more active and started eating better once i changed from a CHE to a halogen. They also produce more heat to the wattage, so where i needed a 150w CHE before, im fine with a 100w Halogen for a 36x18x24 enclosure (:

5 Likes

I have a VE heat panel (80 watt) for my ball python’s 4x2x1 enclosure. It’s worked great for four years, kept a nice 90/80 F gradient, and she’s very healthy. I haven’t used light for her, but she’s getting a tank upgrade soon, and I’ll add an additional light source for her then. I bought a Pro Heat panel for the upgrade, and though I haven’t used it yet the customer service and shipping was great and quick-I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Pro Heat panels. Wilbanks sells heat panels as well, and those are supposed to be good too from what I’ve heard.

3 Likes

For halogens you really want to limit how much you dim them, so you should find a wattage that’s gets your temps as close to perfect as you can when the bulb is at full power. For some people that’s a 75W, some may be more like 60W, others could be higher. You’ll need to play around with it a bit

2 Likes

Talk about old school, that’s exactly what I am! My vet always encouraged under tank heat for terrestrial snakes because she says snakes need belly heat to digest their food. Has this thinking changed to Duane? Just curious :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

The ground still is warmed by the overhead heat. That is why a slate tile is recommended under the basking spot as it is very good at heat absorption

5 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, this thought has not changed. It is what I do.
I believe the above heat setup became more popular as different types of enclosures came out. This made it harder to use under tank pads, do to thickness and difference materials. Heat lights have always been around and some used with other lighting. This made it easier to have it all in one spot.

Belly heat to me is still the best way to go. To get it to correct temp, you don’t have to over heat everything above it and have hot spots. All racks (that I am aware of) use under and not above, most still use under for tanks, and not lights.

Not to knock anyone, but using lighting for light source or heat is really old school. We have learned over time that lighting is not needed. It is mostly for us to feel that it helps, but they get nothing from it.

And heat lights or panel (above heating) can cause burn or injury, as it has to get very hot to make the surface correct temp.

Kind of like heat rocks. They where the thing in the past, before a lot of injuries started showing up. But you will still see some people say to use them.

3 Likes

So to my understanding I need to stick with a rack or a glass tank. I was hoping to be able to see him or her though out the day. I’m trying to get all my ducks or snakes in a row.

2 Likes

Thank you Duane. Well said! I’m old school but sometimes it’s the best way to be. True other people have different ways of doing things but for me personally my old school way of using UTH is still the best imho! :+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes