Hello from Massachusetts

Hi there! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Christine Kilroy and I’ve been keeping reptiles for around 16 years , and breeding Kenyan Sand Boas for 11 years. I addition to my Sand Boas, I also keep Crested, leopard and gargoyle geckos, western Hognose, tricolor Hognose, a few corn snakes, various Kingsnakes, 2 Ball pythons, a Brazilian rainbow boa , white sided black rat snakes, an Eastern (yellow) Rat Snake and last but not least, a blue tongue skink:)

4 Likes

Welcome to the Morph Market community! I can’t wait to send you that little boa in the spring, I’m sure you will love her. I’d love to see some pics of your other KSB as well!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Christine!

Wow that’s quite the collection you have! How can you remember all of them, ha-ha.
Are sand boas your favorite to breed, and do you breed any of your other reptiles? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sand Boas are definitely my favorite to breed. There is just something about them that really appeals to me. They’re also very easy to breed as well! Right now I don’t breed any other reptile, as I’m happy with what I do breed :grin:

1 Like

Welcome! You have a pretty awesome and varied collection. :heart:

What’s the tricolor hognose like? I love hoggies. I don’t have any currently but I’ve kept eastern, southern, and western in the past. I rarely see any tricolored around, I’ve always wondered what they are like compared to the more common species. (Are they even Heterodon, or a different genus altogether?)

2 Likes

Tri Color Hognose (Xenodon Pulcher) are really awesome snakes to own. They don’t have the personality of the Western or Eastern Hognose, but I’ve found they are better eaters, mine even readily take meals when they’re in shed.image image

3 Likes

That’s really cool, thanks for sharing! :heart:

1 Like

@cksandboas welcome to the family :+1:
I’m not a huge fan of Hoggies but tricolors are by far the coolest. So you have any pics of your BRB you’d like to share?IMG_20180906_122646017

2 Likes

image here he is! He’s around 18-19 years old now

2 Likes

@cksandboas he’s a looker :+1:. BRBs are probably one of my all-time favorite species and they’re not nearly as hard to care for (or as temperamental) as their reputation. My oldest is only 11, but he’s still going strong :+1:

1 Like

@cksandboas He looks fantastic, especially for his age!

1 Like

That’s an older picture of him. He is really starting to look like an older animal. He’s gotten a lot duller and just really looks old, if that makes any sense

2 Likes

@cksandboas I get where you’re coming from. My 11 yo is still breeding 1-2 females per year but it’s getting harder for him to get back up to ‘fighting shape’ every year and I’m already looking at trying to replace him (for breeding–he’s not going anywhere else)

2 Likes

I didnt know BRBs lived that long wow. These are cute snakeys though :blush:.

2 Likes

Its funny because BRBs are one of only 2 species in the python/boa category that Id ever consider as a pet but if the lifespan is that long on BRBs I may have to reconsider. That said when I get my 1st ever reptile hopefully later this year (Uromastyx lizard or Corn snake) Ill be sure to post a pretty pic of it to add to all the other pretty pics of all the others here.

1 Like

As far as I know, all boas and pythons have a much longer lifespan than colubrids. It’s something to consider when purchasing any boid, even something small like a rosy boa or sand boa can live 30 years. I have several boids in my collection that are 13-14 years old, and they are in their prime.

2 Likes

Interesting. Hmm I guess its good that my interest in pythons/boas is more zoological and scientific and less as a pet option. Its too bad for me that the expo I have access to is focused on ball pythons though. I always knew ball pythons werent the snake for me but didnt know other pythons/boas were not suitable for me. Still nice to walk around the expo and admire them though. I guess snake wise Im limited to colubrids since I doubt venomous snakes will be allowed anytime soon. Too bad my reptile interest didnt flare up when I was younger.