Help Confirm Morphs, please? :)

‘Morphology’ is a word for the study of the forms/structures of living things. In terms of the morph of your gecko, it’s not possible to tell whether that gecko is a Patternless or a Blizzard, and without seeing the eyes one can’t know (in this gecko) whether it’s one of the three forms of albino or has any of the morphs that affect eye color (e.g., BAE, Eclipse, etc.).

3 Likes

I appreciate the education in terminology, thank you. I almost just sent you a msg about this directly actually haha, I’ll get better pictures for you, and anyone else, in a little bit here.

2 Likes

Whatever the eyes reveal, as a veterinarian, I have to warn you that his cuteness and adorableness are likely going to be chronic & incurable. :wink:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Definitely an albino as well! No way to determine Tremper/Bell/Rainwater without test breeding. Look at that little grin! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The woman that I got him from told me her son named him Wall-E, and he’s the one who handed him off to me by hand before I brought him home, so I didn’t change it. He’s definitely used to being handled and is super friendly. I got a few shots from underneath, by the way… I hope I’m not asking too much, but I could use a good education in identifying leopard gecko genders. I’ve got several books that give what I thought were a good idea, til I started taking pictures of albino geckos, haha… This is Wall-E, I’m working on cataloging the same profiles of my other geckos.

Sexing geckos correctly is something I’ve always sucked at. I’d say female, but take that with a grain of salt. If you could get a shot from the side, that might help make it clearer.

wall-e pixar gif GIF by Disney Pixar

1 Like

From what I’ve been looking at, all this based on several books and a couple other online resources, I’m led to believe that mature males have these very evident femoral pores, in the shape of a v, between the legs, with a much more prominent hemipenal bulge at the base of the tail. And females have the pores too, but you have to strain to look. Given her size and what we’re looking at underneath, I agree, looks like a lady. You mentioned looking from the side, by the way, from that angle, what would you be looking for?

1 Like

Sometimes it’s a bit easier to appreciate the presence or absence of hemipenal bulges from a side view.

I could totally just go check one of my boy’s undercarriage, but I’m all snug in bed.

:bed: :sleeping:

I’ll try and remember another day! :wink:

2 Likes

I’d say female also. With my fat tails I’ve found males have more pores and bigger and multiple rows.

2 Likes

Murphys patternless albino.
It is hard going to find a visual Bell patty, it does happen. I have a long long breeding project. Usually Tremper is the most widespread albino. Patty and Blizzard have been long standing projects of mine

1 Like

Hypo tang (Tang of unknown lineage) aberrant not jungle

1 Like

I would say it could also be an albino blizzard.

1 Like

From my own breeding’s and a lot of others MP albinos usually retain a yellower base colour than albino (blazing blizzards)

2 Likes

Also worth mentioning non albino MP also tend to retain a more yellow appearance too. Over BB

2 Likes

My blazing blizzard also has a yellow base color but I don’t have a murphey’s to compare it to and I think it would vary too much between individuals and from pictures for it to be a reliable indicator.

2 Likes

sadly unless you bred it yourself a lot of people have mps sold as blizzards and vice versa. Seen lots of breeders get them mixed up sadly :frowning: In my 12 years of blizzards and mp I am yet to see a yellow blizzard that wasn’t an actual “Banana”
22d46d363fd3587d5e083643b17b4900

3 Likes

I got it from a breeder who didn’t even work with MP geckos. The blizzards yellow is very faint and only sometimes visible (fired up and down?) but is still very noticable.

1 Like

as I say a lot of people believe they have Blizz but are MP and vice versa. All my blizzards are grey and BB white/some more pink. Mp’s yellow Grey tails and heads and albino yellow bodies white tails sometimes the heads. I think a lot have been crossed many a time and ended up a bit of a poop show sadly :frowning:

2 Likes

I think that true blizzards are grey…Albino and non bino MP yellow (grey head in tails and head…non albino…white in albinos)
I also think there has been an almighty cock up in breeding and crossing them too! With people STILL not knowing what they have.

There are some good breeding projects with putting a tang line into both these days. I think mine are pure “old skool”

3 Likes