Help ID My Leo

Rather than create a new thread for the ever so popular ‘what morph is my …’

I thought I would jump on the end of another … sorry, not sorry.

I’m a ball python guy and haven’t had Leo’s for about 10 years. Person who I am taking this guy from hasn’t handled him for years as he is so skittish (understandable as he didn’t want a dropped tail), so now he is super skittish.

He thinks it was brought as a giant about 8 years ago.

Now I’m not that into Leo’s but have done a bit of reading into the morphs and genetics, understanding some normals can get bigger than giants without being a true giant?

I’m guessing this little (big) fella is a Tremper Albino but I could be well off the mark there … so reaching out to the Leo experts.

A little help please :slight_smile:

4 Likes

He looks like an albino. But, it’s impossible to determine which strain without test breeding. Which is usually a bad idea. He also shouldn’t be labeled as giant unless he came from original giant lines. Also, is that the enclosure that you keep him in?

2 Likes

I haven’t got him yet. Person I am taking him from is moving house and can’t take with.

Haven’t decided yet if he is staying in a RUB and into a rack or whether he will be in a display Viv. The RUB currently is 50L so a good size, still unsure on substrate I will use (tile, lino etc) are slate chippings not a good idea?

Thanks for the input regarding genetics though, appreciated.

2 Likes

Slate chippings aren’t a good substrate. I recommend paper towels, tile, or substrateless. If he was on slate chippings everything else might not be great. Once you get it you can post it and we can check that everything is safe.

1 Like

Thanks for that. From what I believe he is kept primarily on a large slate tile and the slate chippings are around the outside edges where the tile isn’t the exact size for the tub.

In the past I kept my adult Leo’s on playsand, but that was about 10 years ago in an Exo Terra glass viv. Wouldnt keep on sand again though but I did observe a tendency to dig in the sand. What would be a good alternative substrate where digging is possible

1 Like

I don’t recommend any loose substrate. Someone on this forum had a gecko die from ingesting loose substrate. For an area to dig I recommend sphagnum moss (I think a gecko would be less likely to eat long-fibered moss) in a corner or a larger humid hide.

Thanks for advice.

1 Like

You’re welcome! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.