Help identifying snake

Hiya,
Recently been sent a photo of this snake that needs rescuing. Obviously want to do all my research before agreeing but I’m struggling to find what kind of snake they are. So far the only identification is Boa. Can anyone help? And some idea of how big they’re going to get would be appreciated too :slight_smile: Thank you!

6 Likes

I have a nicaraguan sunglow that looks an awful lot like that one. How big is it? If its smaller I would lean toward it being a CA hypo T+ of some sort.

7 Likes

Hi, thank you! He’s just under 5ft. Kinda Royal Python sized at the moment but unsure of age.

4 Likes

Thats mine.

6 Likes

also, if it is a CA boa (central american) then its probably full sized. It might add some girth but shouldnt get much longer.

5 Likes

That’s perfect thank you so much! Hopefully he’ll be coming to live with me soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @ros13 and welcome to the forum! To me that boa looks like a carbon copy of the one @themorphranch has and both are really really lovely!

I have a 5 year old CA boa boy (Red) and he is roughly 5 feet long. If yours is a male he should be maxed in length and girth. Females get a LOT more girth on them….

There are a tons more people here who have tons more boa knowledge, such as @themorphranch but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents since I have a CA, which btw is a TOTAL teddy bear! I don’t know the reason for the adoption but if the boa you are looking at is as sweet as Red, you won’t regret adopting him……

Best of luck with your decision @ros13 and ask all the questions you need to ask without hesitation! :blush:

And here is my Red: just for kicks and grins! :joy:

6 Likes

Hi @caron thank you so much!! Didn’t even know this forum existed until I was trying to find out more, but I love it!
Red is absolutely gorgeous!!

He was surrendered to an exotic vets as the family couldn’t care for a snake, I’ve been told he’s an absolute sweetheart and good with handling. I’m a zookeeper and have been wanting a snake at home for ages so they sent me a picture hoping I’d be able to help.

6 Likes

Oh my goodness I have always wanted to work at a zoo! How wonderful for you @ros13! You are a great addition to the family here and I am soooooo happy you found us!

There will be others to chime in with advice/info but just so ya know we have a “boa” club here and we would LOVE for you to join! Lol!

Seriously though, it sounds like this boa would be a great fit for you if you decide to adopt him. And please don’t be a stranger! This is not like FB or any other social media I have ever seen. The people here are unassuming, caring, knowledgeable and just downright a great group to belong to. I think you would have a lot to add as well!

Best wishes to whatever you decide and keep us updated with pictures and progress if you decide to “join the club”! :pray::blush:

6 Likes

Just look at how long and red Red’s tail is. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Hi all, just an update for anyone who might be following. Rescue snake is coming to live with me next week, he’s called Rambo and I’m very excited.

Just checking @themorphranch and @caron if you’re CAs are very arboreal so whether a taller Viv with some leveling might be better than a lower one, if anyone has some advice on that :slight_smile:
Glad to join the club

4 Likes

Actually none of my 3 ever show arboreal inclinations. That being said, you can also provide your CA extra height as long as you don’t sacrifice the terrestrial length.

Here’s to the very best of wishes to you and Rambo for a long and happy life together! :heart::pray:

4 Likes

Rambo is settling in well!

5 Likes

Just another update, my lovely boy has been renamed Icarus and is settling in really well. Pretty much the perfect snake, I can’t understand why his family didn’t want him. Here’s a picture of him looking lovely and iridescent :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Hey @ros13! I love the name Icarus! You are very blessed to have him! Sometimes people will buy a snake on impulse. The little baby snake is so small and cute but when it grows into adulthood it’s too big to take care of. That could be one reason the family gave him up. Other than that who knows.

I don’t know where you live but when the weather is nice it’s good to take your snakes outside once in awhile to get some fresh air. Red seems to enjoy his bit of time in the grass and sun.

Definitely keep us updated on his progress with you. Are you feeding him FT? :thinking:

:blush::sunglasses::grinning:

2 Likes

I am feeding him FT, warming the rat up a little before feeding and he goes straight for it! Slowly updating his enclosure as well so it’s much nicer now.

I have noticed though that he sometimes sits like this… Is this something to be concerned about?

I’ve seen snakes stargaze so I’m not concerned it that but just unsure why he’d sit with his head up like this

2 Likes

My ball/royal does something like that when he wants to see if I have food. Perhaps he’s just looking up to watch you to see what’s going on?

He hasn’t got any extra spit around his mouth or a wheezy breath, or labored breathing or panting, has he? Does he sit around with his mouth open? I mention it because the one of the most common snake illnesses is a respiratory infection, but if this behavior doesn’t come along with anything else odd, he might just be doing it Just Cuz.

3 Likes

Who knows maybe he sees something we don’t! :joy:

2 Likes

Snakes do weird things sometimes with no reasoning but I notice that at the heat of the day during the summer the boas will sit against the glass with their heads pointing up as if theyre cooling. The temps don’t get dangerous by any means but sometimes I’ll see one boa in the back of her enclosure while other boa in the bottom enclosure sitting with her head up against the glass.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying! Nope never seen any other behaviours that concern me like breathing hard or anything!
It’s normally when I’ve just come into the room that he comes out of his hide and lifts his head so maybe he is just looking at me :joy:

3 Likes