Help me identify my new baby gecko

4 Likes

Welcome to this forum :smiley:

I think the morph is called flame with portholes (the white tiny dots).

1 Like

@oran_ge welcome to our family! I hope that you stay around, we are a bunch of fun lol. As for iding, your people are going to be @ghoulishcresties and @foxreptile. They are always willing to help. Again, welcome and I hope you like it here. Have a wonderful day.

3 Likes

He/she is a harlequin, yes also has portholes, a lot do though so not really something you need to say.

Just a cute lil Harley :relaxed:

Also Iā€™d get the stuff sheā€™d off toes, as can cause issues with climbing and even then losing a toe.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying my best to. I just got him so Iā€™m trying super hard not to stess it out. I have gotten a lot of it off. His last home had low humidity. Last time I tried to get some off he bit me so Iā€™m trying to let him destress from that situation. And arenā€™t harlequins things people want?? Thatā€™s awesome!

Ty so much for the warm welcome! :relaxed:

1 Like

Harlequins are very common morphs now.
So if looking at breeding I would pair to a tricolour or extreme, or a Lilly say, something that people are after :blush:

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

If your worried about stressing too much, maybe try a humid box for 10 mins a day to loosen it up, your gecko may get it off by itself if kept humid enough.

And yes your Crestie is a harlequin with portholes. Harlequin are common now, but if itā€™s a pet then traits donā€™t necessarily matter too much, however if your planning to breed, then if suggest to do research on traits.

1 Like

Does it count as harlequin and not flame because it has a tiny amount of orange pattern on the legs? From morphpedia:

"Harlequin crested geckos are like flames, but with more pattern. Harlequins will show pattern along the lower laterals and limbs. "

ā€œFlame crested geckos will have a base colour with a lighter colour along the dorsal. Flames will show little to no pattern on their laterals or limbs.ā€

(I thought the gecko in this post had what is called ā€œlittle patternā€.)

If you look at the second pic, the back foot and what I am calling knee area are different colours and again further up the same leg, the pattern is light again, therefore is a harlequin. Flames will show practically no pattern on the tummy, feet and legs

I believe this Gecko is fired down in the pics, correct me if Iā€™m wrong, in which patterns donā€™t show up as much. If fired up in the pics, which I doubt, would be classed as a low expression harlequin

1 Like

This is whatā€™s confusing: ā€œlittle to no patternā€ and ā€œpractically no patternā€ - does that mean no pattern, AT ALL? Or does it mean ā€œthere might be faint/low patternā€? :laughing:

And where do you draw the lineā€¦ Yeah, I know itā€™s fired down and therefore difficult to make out the patternā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s also patterning on the side if you look.

Flames have dorsal patterning only, rarely portholes.

1 Like

Also itā€™s had flame in somewhere or even the parents as the back patterning has no pinning. Which usually means flame in the line.

So why doesnā€™t it say ā€œflames have no pattern on the sides and limbsā€?

1 Like

I donā€™t blame you, is hard to tell sometimes and wording isnā€™t always clear.

I usually ask for fired up pics before I comment, as itā€™s easier to tellā€¦ but I could see plenty of subtle pattern on the legs & feet making the gecko a harlequin whereas a flame would have no pattern to minimal pattern on the legs.

If you go to morph / traits guide there is a pic of a flame Crestie showing the lack of leg pattern (this gecko is fired up)

1 Like

Flames can have a small amount of pattern on the legs, but it would be extremely minimal

Right :slight_smile: thanks to you both for being awesome and answering my questions. You are way better than me at this <3

So flame and bicolor are nearly the same? No pattern and lighter dorsal. Though some of the bicolors in morphpedia show pattern on the dorsal but not on sides and legs, just like flame.

OP, sorry for highjacking your post.

If youā€™re in about my girl Starburst whoā€™s now with Retics and Reptiles, she has no patterning. She lost it all :grin: True flame bless her. Gutted I sold still :joy:

But this was her before leaving me.

2 Likes

Not the same no.
Flame has a bright back dorsal with the the ā€˜flameā€™ patterning.

Bicolours are a 2 toned gecko, bright red body with a paler dorsal for instance :blush:

Naruto is a good example

4 Likes

Alright, thatā€™s what I thought. So some of the pictures under ā€œbicolorā€ are wrong.

1 Like