Help with Ball Pythons health

There is another one) Is it a simple pied?
This male is aggressive😡

1 Like

Yes it’s a single gene pied imo. He may be aggressive because he looks seriously underweight. Not trying to come off as cross but that snake looks unhealthy. He is visibly underweight do you have info on him? He doesn’t appear to be cared for very well. I would for sure try to start feeding him on a regular schedule. How long have you had him? If you just purchased him personally I would ask to return him. I have a feeling you may have a lot of issues with him.

9 Likes

I would agree with this assessment.
He’s just a regular Pied and looks to be very underweight.
And @ostap snakes aren’t aggressive, that’s a human emotion. They are defensive, and he’s probably defensive because he is so underweight. When they are unhealthy the snake knows, and their personality will reflect this.

4 Likes

so I was given it recently. so I also noticed that it weighs little and he had red spots after he shed, tell me about it?

1 Like

I’m assuming the red dots is in the white area because this will be the easiest place to see it. Red dots might be an indication of bites from mites. I would house this animal well away from my collection. Go over the animal and see if there is any mites on it. I would also look in the snakes mouth make sure it looks healthy. Does his bowel movements if he’s had any look normal? With the way he looks I would be concerned as well with him having some sort of internal parasite. I’m hoping you did not pay for this animal. If you did I would try everything I could to get my money back. You don’t want to take over some else’s problem. And you don’t want to risk your other snakes health as well.

3 Likes

I understood I would look at him, and if there are ticks how to deal with them? Thank you very much for the consultation, and so I did not pay for it.

I use a Tupperware container with a lid. Poke some holes in it so it gets air. Fill up the container with warm water to were the snake will be completely submerged besides his head let him soak in it. While he’s soaking whatever enclosure he’s housed in I would completely clean it. Do a very good job and then I would use pro-vent-a-mite on its enclosure. Other people have other ways they prefer as well. But this has always worked for me in the past. I would do this to every animal in my collection.

3 Likes

When you soak him, put a drop or two of dawn dish soap in after you fill the tub then give it a stir…really don’t want to create bubbles.

The dish soap helps break the waters surface tension allowing the water to get deeper between the animals scales, drowning any mite that are there…and regular dawn dish soap is harmless to the snake

I wouldn’t use pervent a mite on that animal, regular healthy animal sure, but do your research. Prevent a mite contains permethrin which is toxic/deadly if administered wrong.

Between being moved to a new home and being malnourished i don’t know that I would stress that animals system with a toxin. If he were in my hands I would treat with soaks and olive oil…once he was feeding regularly and put on a good bit of weight, then I would use prevent a mite if mites were still a problem

3 Likes

You don’t use it on the animal you spray the enclosure. If you don’t break the mites life cycle they will just keep coming back. If I have mites on one snake I’m treating every snake and every enclosure. If you are maintaining a fairly large collection and you allow the mites to get a foot hold they will quickly overwhelm your entire collection. This is why I don’t ever recommend bringing in a sick animal under any circumstance you put every other snake at risk. One snake is not worth the well being of a 100 others in my opinion. Some people don’t like proventamite but my personal experiences I’ve never had it affect a healthy snake ever.

2 Likes

how long does it take to keep it in soapy water?

1 Like

15 minutes

1 Like

examined the python, ticks are not visible on the body, in the mouth or near the cloaca. soaked it in soapy water for 15 minutes then washed in clean and lubricated it with oil. the container is well washed and the drinker too. I hope it helps🙏
and yet his cloaca is open often, and often emptied, the smell of it is not pleasant because of it. I realized because of this and the red spots that something was wrong with him. then can it all be due to ticks?

1 Like

Is his poop solid? Do you have pictures of the red spots? Do they look like they are bites? Or are they more like scratches? Is there a lot of them? Are there any types of bites or scratches in the non white area? Was there any mites in the water after he soaked?

2 Likes

there were no ticks in the water. red spots only on the white parts. they do not look like bites and scratches, they are oval in size in size like a box of cheesecakes. poop is not solid and, it is yellowish white as a liquid, but then dries like a stain. has no bites and scratches too. and his scales are bad - bent. there are about 3 of them.

The yellow stuff is urates, not feces. Though I don’t know if it should be coming out as a liquid like that.

The red areas you mention almost look like burns, like the snake was coiled around a heat rock. It could also be scale rot.

I’d wait for others to respond though, I’m just throwing in my thoughts. I’m no professional so I might be totally wrong with my guesses :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

he sometimes releases them in two days 3-4 spots of it. and the red spots I thought he overheated or something. he had nowhere to burn in principle. and when I took it away it was badly shed and I soaked it and the skin came off almost by itself I helped to remove it from the head and eyes and after that I noticed these spots.

Ok I’m thinking he doesn’t have mites. I agree with @trnreptiles those look more like burns. And the urates doesn’t look normal to me. I’m going to be honest I’m not sure what your snake has wrong with it. But it definitely doesn’t appear healthy. I’m thinking he has some sort of internal parasite and has burns. If you can and have access to a vet that would be your best course of action.

7 Likes

I would definitely second the vet visit if possible! Make sure it’s an actual herp vet and not a regular dog/cat vet though.

Though this all should probably be moved to a different thread since it’s a bit off topic.
Could one of the @staff do that?

5 Likes

Looks like a skin infection, could have been caused by a burn, the uriates dont look right because it hasn’t been eating, not enough calcium in its diet to build a solid stone so to speak…keep soaking, instead of dish soap, use a few drops of povidone iodine. This should help keep the infection site clean. Do what you can to get that animal feeding, start with small meals. And please please contact a vet

4 Likes

water with iodine and soak it like in soapy water? how many drops of iodine? and how long to keep it in it? and how often to do it? I’ll try to find a vet. Thank you very much