Help with Ball Pythons health

How big is the tub youā€™re soaking him inā€¦if you are using a 10% solution of iodine (commonly found at drug store). Just a few drops, just enough to turn the water a light tea color, not coffee. @ostap sorry for the late responds brother Iā€™m at work. 5 to 15 minutesā€¦room temp water remember we hover above 90 degrees in body temp, so if it feels warm to the touch, them its probably to hot for the snake.

And just go once a day for now

3 Likes

understood thanks

I have a female spider pastel who to put her? There is Normal, Butter, banana spider, I will not put this piedā€™s because he is sick.

sorry that I write everything in one topic. do I create a different topic in the appropriate sections each time?

I get what youā€™re trying to say- that most snake behavior is defensive but letā€™s be accurate lolā€¦aggression is not a strictly human ā€œemotionā€ (itā€™s a behavior not an emotion although the cause could be emotional)

Itā€™s as primal as it gets. There are these things called lionsā€¦

In this original case the snake very well could be aggressive, it looks like it was almost starved! Still probably defensive behavior but at some point itā€™s going to strike at anything warm and hope for survival Iā€™m sure.

3 Likes

Almost starved, that snake is starved. Look and you can clearly see the outline of its rib cage and spine. Thatā€™s pretty much the definition of starved.

Ok I would agree with you there, after thinking I worded that wrong.
But since there has been no evidence that snakes have shown aggression, thatā€™s why we say they are defensive.
And yes I know what Lions are Crawd.

4 Likes

I agree that is super thin!

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to be blunt, unless that thing has some kind of miracle happen, I donā€™t have much hope for the guy.

With how thin he is, and the possible infection or other mysterious health issues it has, itā€™s likely not going to survive.

It wonā€™t be your fault, so donā€™t blame yourself if he passes. Just might want to prepare for the worst if it happens.

3 Likes

Which is why a visit to the vet is really needed at this point. Whatever is wrong has already progressed a very long way. A vet with reptile specialty is the best way to fast-track finding the problem(s) and getting the most effective treatment.

2 Likes

@ostap I disagree, Iā€™ve seen worse, make a come back

4 Likes

This is a sad example of neglect, lack of knowledge or self education of husbandry and letā€™s be honest here animal endangerment. That animal needs a vet. Simply saying. If everyone on here says Vet believe me, you need a vet.

4 Likes

Take it to a veterinarian as soon as you can. There are a lot of things that it could be that havenā€™t been mentioned that are even more serious.

4 Likes

Iā€™m gonna just admit, cases like this where there is a clear life threatening condition (starvation) to the point where death is imminent, depending on your vet situation Iā€™m definitely not wasting any significant sum on a vet visit just to see what other parasites or underlying conditions there are.

If you can get him to take a meal or 2 and he somewhat stabilizes then by all means, but if itā€™s on deaths door I wouldnā€™t waste my money. Try and get him to eat and put him down if you canā€™t get him to.

I can see a counter argument that if you donā€™t have the experience to ā€œknowā€ when somethings really on deaths door or not you may not be qualified to make that callā€¦definitely recognize that but in this case I think itā€™s clear heā€™s in rough shape.

4 Likes

this morning noticed that the pied had died. so sorry. did not have time to take him to the vet. he refused to eat yesterday.
thank you all for your help and advice and support.
Iā€™m worried that others wonā€™t get infected. how to disinfect? I thought to dilute the permanganate in water and immerse them there.

I sorry to hear that brotherā€¦give everything a was with dawn dish soapā€¦a most of the virus your worried about protect themselves in a fat envelope so to speak, dish soap will break that downā€¦then a soak or spray down with a 10% bleach solution, regular bleach; no scents or gel type bleach, (about 13oz bleach to gallon of water)ā€¦let sit in bleach solution for a minimum of 15 minā€¦give a good solid rinse and air dry (outside in the sun if possible) then rinse again before using for another animal again

2 Likes

My guess is that red patches on the sides were an external indicator of enteritis or colitis. Could have been parasitic or just lack of nutrition, or any number of things. Wonā€™t know without a necropsy.

3 Likes

I was advised to dilute hydrogen peroxide with water and immerse them there.
I have manganese maybe her?
I have a 4 liter container for this how much to give bleach and soap? Sorry I just never encountered that.

Are you saying to disinfect your snakes by putting them in bleach and soap water? I donā€™t quite understand what you are wanting.

2 Likes

I want to disinfect them and I donā€™t understand whether itā€™s just soapy water or mixing bleach and soap. or wipe the container with bleach and disinfect the python in soapy water

You donā€™t need to disinfect your snakes. So long as you washed your hands and everything before messing with them, they should be perfectly fine. Did you practice proper quarantine with your new snake that passed?

1 Like