How much to feed young crested gecko

I’m purchasing a young crested gecko in the next week or so I’ve been able to find everything in my research except for how much and how often to feed a young crested gecko I’ve heard about the amount of a quarter once a day is this accurate at all?

1 Like

I feed or little ones once a day with CGD (crested gecko diet) and insects twice a week.

I’m not sure how big a quarter is but I just do a small blob for the youngsters, if they eat it all, then I know to give them more the next day

What age/weight is the gecko that you are getting?

2 Likes

I feed all cresties every other day and crickets 2/3 times a week with young :blush:
Quarter should be ok (it’s like a 5p). But don’t expect it all to be eaten, once in at night they may enjoy it through to the next day. So put in one night, take out the next and so on :relaxed:

3 Likes

Around 8g And I’m not sure of exact age but he was born in 2020

2 Likes

8g?? If born in 2020 he should be a lot more than that…

You need to find out exact age, parents, what’s it’s feeding etc.
As at that weight and born a year ago that isn’t right…

3 Likes

I believe that weight is most likely older he looks healthy in the pictures I will ask the breeder about that

2 Likes

October 2020 feeding on watermelon Pangea/Pangea breeder formula with live crickets 2-3x a week still waiting to hear back on the weight

2 Likes

Just heard back from the seller he’s about 17g now

2 Likes

That’s still small at a year old really. I’ve had 5 month olds at that weight, just keep in mind you’re going for a very slow grower.

2 Likes

I’m completely fine with that she says that weight is about a month but he’s gonna be a pet only for now I may eventually try and find a female but I would like to wait until I further understand their genetics to purchase a partner for him

3 Likes

Any pics? What morph is he?

And glad you’re okay with that!
Breeding is fun, make sure you know his lineage too. People ideally want lineage these days so if looking to breed you ideally want to make sure a Crestie has lineage, a good head, and morph! :blush:

1 Like

He’s a yellow brindle pos tiger here’s a picture of hi. I should be meeting the breeder in the next couple of days here’s fired up(2nd pic) and fired down(1st pic)

i

2 Likes

He’s a brindle. Not a yellow and not a tiger. Just a brindle. I used to get these out a lot with a pairing I used to have together, hoping you’re not paying too much considering they already told he was a yellow and he isn’t :woman_facepalming:t2:
Also if that’s recent pics not sure he’s a he. And also very small!

Make sure to ask for lineage as thats really needed if wanting to breed in the future.

2 Likes

Do you have a brindle yellow to show for reference he looks a lot like all except for 1 brindle yellow on MorphMarket definitely not tiger but I do believe he is a brindle yellow he is listed at $80 usd but he’s on sale currently for $60 the add does say pos tiger not tiger the pictures are about a week old. Did you mean small by underweight or small by slowly growing

Here’s a picture with the what I believe are pores circled all though I don’t know much do I don’t know if these are really pores

I do see what you mean by he’s not yellow brindle tiger here’s a yellow bridle tiger off mm I do think he’s a brindle yellow though

1 Like

They’re not pores, they’re spurs. They don’t indicate the sex.

And That’s not a tiger either. That’s a brindle also so if on MM report it as the wrong morph if you can.

And yellows are yellow. Here’s my
Yellow for reference. She was bright yellow when she was younger. She’s 2 so faded a bit now. So the one you’re getting is just a brindle, as said I hatched a lot of these when 2 of my adults here were together. If you put in brindle online they’re all that colour :blush:

2 Likes

Ok makes sense he doesn’t look very yellow so just being a brindle does that price I said above 60usd or 51 euro sema fine? Also do you mean small by skinny or small by just slow grower also do you see any health concerns in the photos he looks healthy to me but I’m not experienced in crested geckos. Thanks!

His weight and size is fine, I’ve had a few small growers here. In fact some of mine have reached 1 year and are about 18g, while others reached that within a few months. Not all Cresties grow quickly all the time.

Definitely not yellow as it would be bright yellow when fired up. I don’t have a yellow brindle but yellow is yellow, I have added a pic below of some of my Cresties that has yellow on, it would be a similar colour. If you type yellow crested gecko in Google search, it should show lots of yellow Cresties.

Tiger stripes usually run from the dorsal to the laterals without braking and brindle are more sporadic. I wanted a tiger, but got an orange brindle instead and I actually really like brindles.

Yours is a brindle.

The white things are spurs and all Cresties have them. Pores are underneath a Crestie And are dots that run in a line from one leg to the other, I’ve added a pic below of one of my males to show you (the pores are the circles above the line). Females do not have pores and sometimes little Cresties don’t either, but your Crestie would have pores and usually a visable bulge by now (unless it’s a late bloomer).

Vanilla & Caramel’s head, laterals and limbs are yellow

Pores on a male Crestie (same pic, just one has the line running just below the pores)

Anyway, back to original question, you would need more than a quarter at that age. I’d say double and if it eats less then do a little less next time but if it’s cleaning the bowl then your not feeding enough.

1 Like

Price seem right for a brindle.
But ask them to loop sex, unless you don’t mind what gender it is!
And I mean small, not skinny. For the age/weight it is rather small so I don’t believe personally they’re feeding it what they say they are… the growth Pangea is enough alone to bulk Cresties up! Adding crickets weekly also it should be a lot bigger… So just don’t expect a big Crestie!

1 Like

Thanks I don’t care about sex right now I will eventually sex it on my own I don’t have another crestie to breed it to so It’s not like if it’s a female it’s gonna ruin my day lol thanks @foxreptile and @ghoulishcresties for all the help

2 Likes