I like snake sheds, do you? Share the love!

Just got a fantastic full shed from the old man! 14yr old male Dumerils named Eros. I’m a little bummed cuz i ripped the tail off on accident. Oh well, still a slamming success! I don’t care if it’s silly, I’ll always get excited when my snakes give me that crisp clean shed. No matter how many past-shed containers exist in my snake room, lol. Got any nice/big sheds you’re proud of? Which animal did it come from? Any cool snake shed crafts? I wanna see them all! Share the love! :grin::snake:

15 Likes

I made this little pendant as a way to remember how tiny Sangfroid (Black African House Snake) started out. This is 2cm- the size of a US penny. Those are his wee belly scutes.

16 Likes

I keep all of my first sheds and then any complete sheds that I get. Sadly the only one I do not have a first shed from is my first boa, Kai.

8 Likes

Omg his name! I love it! The teeny tiny scutes! The blue is a nice touch. What’s funny is i did the exact same thing with my Mexican Black King:

I also saved his very first full shed with me and put it into a noodley memory book. Of which i unburied the other day while holding him. I got a great size comparison pic of him at 3rd week @ home and a little over one month old VS. 4 years later:

Uhg, look at how tiny he was! :pleading_face:
How big is your Sangfroid now?

15 Likes

I keep all the sheds too. Im always excited when they shed, lol

6 Likes

Aw thank you. Sangfroid is alas not much bigger now, since he’s been a pesky eater and slow to grow. I keep telling him if he wants to ever be a rope and not a shoelace he needs to eat! Right now he’s still on live while we get some grams on him.

I used iridescent paper backing on my pendant as a kind of nod to the blue iridescence House Snakes have.

Love your little facemask pendant! I need to order some more larger kits so I can make them with shed from Finnley my Ball Python.

5 Likes

Here are the first two sheds I got from Mina, my blood python. You can see how much she grew between the two sheds!

I only have one complete shed from my sand boa, sadly. (I think the fact I keep her drier makes her sheds more likely to come off in pieces…plus I got her as an adult, so she just doesn’t shed as often since she’s not putting on size.)

I always save any complete sheds I get from both my snakes. I think they’re so cool. Prior to my two current snakes, most of my reptile experience was with lizards, who tend to shed in pieces (and in some cases eat their sheds), so it’s been super exciting to me to get these awesome, complete sheds from my snakes. I really want to get into making some cool jewelry and other crafts from sheds, so I’ll have a use for the ones that break apart before I find them.

7 Likes

Holy moly no kidding! It even looks fatter than the other one. That’s one happy blood. :grin: I’ve seen some people decorate mugs with snake shed before. They wrap the shed of their smaller species around the mug in a spiral, or they take blotches and cover the mug in it like it’s paper mache and then coat the whole thing in some sort of resin? Epoxy? I’m not quite sure on that part but once i am i am definitely doing it! You should try it out too if you’re up for it

5 Likes

My favorite shed from one of my favorite boys! Leo, the classic IMG boa

13 Likes

That IMG is fire! Its crazy how well IMG works with other morphs

5 Likes

Thank you dsed! Although he doesn’t have any other morphs. He has a 50% chance of being het for type 1 Anery, but certainly no visuals. I’m really hoping so tho because you’re right, IMG does incredible things with other morphs. He’s one that I’m definitely going to work with when i finally pull the trigger into breeding. I just love love looove IMG ! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh yes, since she’s a blood, she not only grows in length, but she also puts on some serious girth. Unfortunately her last few sheds have either come off in pieces, or just got broken into pieces by the time I found them, so I’m not able to show the full progression of her growth with sheds.

That coffee mug idea sounds super cool, I’ll have to look into it!

5 Likes

Beautiful shed and gorgeous boa!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love IMG, it’s at the top of the list of morphs I’m considering when I get my first boa in a few months. I love how the shed has so much colour and pattern visible! I can only see a little hint of colour and pattern in my snakes’ sheds.

6 Likes

HI! Had to share this morning’s shed from Merkimer, our 2021 Sharp Aztec IMG :sunglasses:. He also seems interested in checking it out!

I’m so excited to send this over to a family member of ours in Oregon who is going to work some shed into some of her future stained glass pieces! More updates on that project as it develops!

Post-shed

For example, the snake sheds would go into one of those sections. I’ll be interested to see what she does with it! @opticmojoglassworks

9 Likes

OMG! YES! Keep us updated!! I SO want to see that stained glass project! What a gorgeous boy too! I can’t believe that he’s IMG but has literally NO black. Img does some really funky awesome stuff when mixed with other morphs! Is he gonna get blacker with age like most img boas, or is he gonna stay light?

4 Likes

Thank you! Def get img it is so awesome to see the ontogenetic color change in a boa! Just be warned, it’s an addicting morph, lol. I’m saving up to bring home IMG #2 here soon.

5 Likes

Sorry! 2019 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was like “wow” I think that they have some big genetics then :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I put all of mine (5 boas and pythons) in ziplock bags, named and dated. I like categorizing things lol. I keep them all in a 16qt Sterilite tub. I’ll post some stuff later, i do have a problem shedder lately (she was a re-home that takes a ton of humidity for a complete shed) but the rest stay quite in tact. Love the shared stuff in this post tho!

5 Likes

Thought that was Hpyo IMG, so many think single gene IMG becomes jet black and iridescent, tho I think Motley is just as beautiful as Hypo and single gene IMG combos. Gorgeous!

5 Likes