If you could invent a morph (be it color, pattern, or both) what would it be?

That would be quite AWESOME!! :star_struck:

1 Like

ewee

sorry but transparent organs or anything like it is a bit ewewee to me. no offence… everyone to their own though. you would see the dicesting foo too …

4 Likes

definitely agree on the blue appearance !!

1 Like

Lol, the purple, green, pink and blue talk and now the glassfish mention has me thinking of Glofish.

GloPythons when? lol

3 Likes

Eh… Nature has done it a few times and it is not as terrible as all that

Imma drop this here

10 Likes

I don’t know…glass frogs are pretty weird

9 Likes

They are pretty awesome too.

5 Likes

Im not the only one thinking this right…

Its like peas and the soft haribo in there :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That’s EXACTLY what I pictured

1 Like

Grossed out, yet intrigued :grimacing:

They did experiments with monkeys in a lab here in the U.K. and they injected them or fed them luminous shellfish or starfish, can’t really remember, I saw a program about it many years ago, and the monkeys were luminous green, as in, glow in the dark green :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s done by inserting a gene for a type of protein, as I understand. and they (other scientists) tried it with kittens too. It creates perfectly healthy animals… who happen to fluoresce under black light.

(trouble is, those first genetically altered animals aren’t always perfect- it’s easy to get it wrong. But when they get it right, the animals are not harmed by being glowy. Reportedly the cats don’t care.)

3 Likes

It’s GFP (green fluorescent protein) and probably the easiest out of the potential morphs in this thread to create.

the only reason I haven’t tried yet is because I’d imagine it would be most visible in a white snake, and I don’t have the morphs (or desire) to create leucistics

3 Likes

And don’t you need a lab to perform CRISPR on a developing ovum cell and reinsert it in the female?
I don’t think Glo-snakes are coming soon… but I think eventually we probably will get around to it, especially with the way people breed ball pythons for colors.

I would love a melanistic type morph, or a jet black with bright red lacing markings… I also love the VPI axanthic morphs, the black and white BP’s are stunning.

2 Likes

Weird? Yes. But terrible?? Hardly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well you were… LOL

This is terribly inaccurate. ANDi was a significantly more complicated scientific experiment. And he only glowed under a blacklight. Under regular light he was a perfectly normal looking macaque

And has already been done:

They have GFP Xenopus too, but those have not “accidentally” found their way out of the lab (yet)

I will again refer back up to the video I liked above. I actually discussed this with Dave in some detail :grin:

Well they already made CRISPR albino anoles so it is probably a lot closer than you might think

4 Likes

watching that video, you do mention the UV light aspect needed for the CRISPER critters…
Interestingly enough, a regular blue LED light will work too. It’s not as irritating as a UV light.

any of those little ‘moonlight’ LED tanks for your regular fish? MUCH cheaper than the GLOfish marketed ones if you don’t mind them being not quite as bright as they can be. Probably work pretty well for the Axolotls as well.

The excitation wavelength for GFP does stretch into the blue range, but the peak excitation is higher in the UV area

1 Like

Oh totally! But I mostly mean for applications for animals that may be more sensitive to things like that as well. Like the idea of a CRISPR bp.

Or wanting to avoid paying 25% more for one type of blue LED over another… lol

1 Like

So……….how do we do this? :crazy_face:

I am kidding but I am a science nerd so that is where the mind goes lol.

3 Likes