IMG Motley Anery or IMG Motley?

Hey, boa people!

Having a tough time figuring out the ID on this little guy. My heart says IMG Motley Anery, but my head says he’s not looking like most of the IMG Motley Anerys I found on MM. He is 100% het Kahl, which I know can make a difference . About nine months old. Also, would not stay still for pictures. Lol. He’s pretty feisty!

7 Likes

@lumpy @tommccarthy @mattcookreptiles

4 Likes

Id say no on the anery, and for sure not IMG.

10 Likes

Looks like a he is just a motley

8 Likes

That makes sense, and I am not the sharpest crayon in the knife drawer. It seems I’ve been taken for a very expensive ride. He’s my first boa, and I was dazzled by the seller’s promises-also, as mentioned, I am not particularly smart. Thanks.

6 Likes

Oh dont worry no one gets into boas and understands it completely right away.

It should never be on the buyer when a seller doesnt know what they are selling. Its false advertising and I do recommended following back with the breeder to see how they will make it right.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ll follow back with the breeder. I’ll have to figure out what to say. It’s actually been several months since I bought him, and I’ve been ignoring the suspicions that he’s not what I thought I was buying until now. Though I did think he at least had the IMG. The seller’s been active on MM for some time and has good reviews, so I felt confident. But I’ll have to do my due diligence next time and double-check what I’m buying. Thanks for the ID.

5 Likes

The purchase timeline is out the window with promised genetics. A couple of months shouldn’t matter. In fact, that could help your argument on not being IMG.

I agree, contact the seller. You’re not at fault at all and the cost difference of a motley vs IMG Anery Motley is huge. If there was any doubt in the sellers mind it shouldn’t have been advertised as such.

That should be a full refund IMO

7 Likes

I would say no to Anery and possibly no IMG.

5 Likes

@lumpy @tommccarthy @mattcookreptiles The seller is claiming he’s Motley and Anery. Anery due to his eyes and a lack of reds. Based on MorphMarket photos I’m not sure I agree, but it’s been established that I’m not much of a morph IDer. I’ll attach a few of the pictures I sent to the seller. Thoughts?

No refund either, BTW. I was offered another snake (straight IMG), which I don’t want to take.

5 Likes

What was their take on their mistaken ID? Id tell them I intended to purchase an IMG and that you might not be trying to get another snake so they need to fix the problem.

8 Likes

Breeder should def offer somewhat of a partial refund at a minimum. That’s pretty absurd. I don’t breed boas, but I know the difference in price from 1 gene to 3 gene combos can be pretty significant. Sorry he sold and labeled it incorrectly

7 Likes

Essentially, they aren’t willing to take the original snake back or give any sort of monetary refund. They offered another snake, either from their current store or an offer to place me on a waiting list for the same snake I originally meant to get. I don’t trust this seller to ID another snake correctly-I would not get another snake from this seller-and even if I did trust the seller I do not have the room for another snake. No recourse through MM either, because I trusted the seller when they said the snake would get darker with time. I think I just have to accept I’m out 2K and now have a boa I would not have otherwise bought. He’s a great little snake so there’s that.

If anyone has other ideas, I’d like to hear them. I’m really not sure what to do. This was my first time buying through MM, and it’s a shame the experience was so bad.

5 Likes

Dont forget MM is like Craigslist, its a platform, not a sole entity or store. Unfortunately problems like this can occur.

Luckily youre on the MM forum too so youve come to the right place. Ask for a refund in writing again, explaining what you said above about spending 2k on what ended up being maybe a $500 snake. Months have gone by and the snake isnt darker.

If they dont, post the conversion on facebooks reptile FBI feedback group. People will take your side and thats a huge group to have your reputation looked down on in.

If they still dont respond, report them to MM. They dont want sellers like that.

10 Likes

Most motley boas are dark in color anyway. The first motleys that Jeremy Stone sold where just black and white / gray in color.

I am not sure but it looks like there might be a little brown color in the tail saddles. If so then this boa is definitely not an anery boa. All anery boa will not have any red, brown, or pink colors in them.

9 Likes

@boathusiast

I would follow through with this suggestion. Let the breeder know that if he/she doesn’t make good on giving you a full refund for this purchase you will be sure to immediately alert the Facebook Reptile FBI Feedback Group as stated above, the BBB, even fraud websites about the breeder’s business ethics.

If the breeder made an innocent ID mistake or if the breeder intentionally misrepresented the animal makes no difference. You paid, In Good Faith, a high dollar for an animal that was sub quality and any reputable breeder would, In Good Business Practice, make it right.

Don’t let this breeder get away with this! You can create enough of a stir that he/she will lose way more money in business than the 2,000 cash to make you go away…….:muscle:

4 Likes

This is his original listing and I can see where the seller was coming from with the initial ID.

I do think you have been given some really good advice. I know it must be horrible having such a big loss and having the breeder do next to nothing to help and resolve it

6 Likes

@logar that’s the right one. And yeah, I thought I could trust the breeder based on the picture. Obviously I should have done more confirmation on my end. But the breeder had good reviews on both MM and Facebook, and I had boa stars in my eyes. I thought he’d get darker. Instead he mostly went browner.

I really appreciate all the advice I’ve been given. The breeder has been adamant that the animal was correctly IDed, that there will be no refund, and the best offer given (after the breeder offered multiple lesser-value snakes) was to wait and see if ‘another’ IMG Anery Motley is produced at some point. For obvious reasons I don’t want another snake from this breeder, even if I had the room/time for another snake, which I don’t. I’m not on Facebook and social media makes me nervous (another part of why I let it go for so long). I’ll try to figure it out and post my experience. I don’t want this to happen to someone else. If anyone could give me some tips on how to navigate it that would be great. I looked at FBI and it says you need to contact an admin? I’m not sure how to do that.

(Personal whining ahead-feel free to ignore my void screaming)

It doesn’t really matter to the situation but I had a pretty terrible year and knowing I’ll need to save every spare penny for another 3+ years, at least, to get my dream boa really really sucks. The worst part is now I don’t like him. It’s not his fault, he’s super sweet, but the breeder got pretty… confrontational, is the best word. Irritated? I hate confrontation, it makes me anxious, and now when I look at him I start feeling anxious and bad all over again. Then I feel guilty because it’s really not his fault. If I do want my dream boa I’ll need to sell him, which makes me feel even worse. I guess it’s a fitting end to the year. And it’s a lesson. Which is something.

7 Likes

lol I feel that :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I am really sorry about this situation. It is really hard to advise you on what you should do because of all of the small and very important details. I hope that there is so resolve to this.

8 Likes