Importance of Coverage With Crested Geckos

So, as most of you probably know, plants are important for crested geckos, but I’m not sure if you realize just how important they are. I used to keep my crested gecko, Irwin, in a very simple enclosure with very minimal planting. I completely changed that about a month ago. The reason being, he just was not acting like a crested gecko should. He was sleeping and hanging out mostly on the ground(where the only plants were), he was being very flighty, and he was afraid of everything in sight. Really, the problem wasn’t specifically no plants, it was no coverage. He was in a position where I could see him without obstruction at every point in the day. I realized there was a problem around early October, so I bought a bunch of plants and some cork bark, and ever since I’ve implemented them into the tank, he’s been a completely different gecko. He’s gotten better at handling, he’s been more active, his appetite has increased, and he’s been showing more natural behavior, such as sleeping in his cork bark tube and plants. I know people already understand that coverage is important for crested geckos, but I thought it was important to bring up due to my personal experiences. I hope this helps someone improve their care.

6 Likes

Oh yes they make a difference.
Even people with ‘fake’ plants know how much they help!
Corpse only sleeps in plants as does some other Cresties here, I also have cresties who couldn’t care less where they are though!

But I will always 100% recommended Bioactive to people! All mine are in it so I want them to find new homes in them also. They thrive in bio :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I completely agree, they need a lot of coverage.

I know it’s not great if you want to peep in during the day and you can’t find your Gecko, but it honestly makes a difference in their attitude.

I have also set up bio-active enclosures for my Cresties and hate how long some of the plants take to grow (I grow my own sometimes) so I add in extra fake plants and climbing /hiding options to the plants grow then I re-do the enclosure using less fake plants etc.

Although I have plenty of coverage for Each of them, once they have found a spot to sleep in, they usually stay in that spot so makes finding them easy.

1 Like

Thank you for this!

I see this a lot with our bigs vs littles. Our littles spend a lot of time on the ground, especially the ones in the enclosures without tubes or wood, just plants.
The bigs are in fully bio enclosures with lots of mixed plants (both fake and real) and are hardly ever on the ground.

2 Likes

That being said I have 2 Cresties that love the substrate.

One is Vanilla, she never use to… But after she buried to lay infertile eggs she has been there every couple of days since lol

Second if honeycomb, I’ve just upgraded honeycomb but I forgot hides at the bottom of the Viv 🤦 so instead of hiding up high where the plants give full coverage, he lays on the substrate in plain sight with his head under a leaf 🤷

I will be adding something soon.

1 Like

Ohhhh Honeycomb. :purple_heart:

When they first hatched, we had a few of them in a 10gal. One of them used to sleep on one of the stick on thermometers that I have just never taken off. :joy:

Need to step up my hide game. :joy:

1 Like

I actually brought a load of plants today. We only went out for a bonsai pot as the bad winds here smashed one outside. Well we came home without the pot, but with a big pine tree that just about got in the car, lots of broms, tillandsia, peperomia and this hypoestes phyllostachya… it’s was pink ok :joy:

3 Likes

Broms will go red, pink/purple and striped too under high light :blush:

4 Likes

I love plant shopping :grin:

2 Likes

Wasn’t planned but was fun. Now to wash and co2 them :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What do you use for CO2? Do you use pressurized CO2 or make it yourself (with baking soda and vinegar)? Do you put the plants in a container and then fill the container with CO2?

2 Likes

Canister co2,
And we put them in ‘fish bags’ with co2 :blush:

3 Likes

I need more info about this cleaning thing.

We went to the farmers market today and I got two new plants. I blame the lot of you. :joy:

We also got English shortbread and rock cakes. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Definitely a good day then :ok_hand:

1 Like

I just rinse with water and then co2 :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! I usually rinse anyhow, but the co2 is good to know! These are the first plants I bought for enclosures, so I can’t wait to get them settled!

2 Likes

I want to get more low light plants for Willow now, even though she will crush them. You guys are wonderful influences lol :joy:!

1 Like

I prefer enlightened

I’ll see myself out. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Lol :joy:
Definitely enlightened!

2 Likes

I saw my opportunity and took it. :joy:

2 Likes