Is a high white calico genetic

I really need a high white calico in my collection, its a love thing :heart_eyes:

But i need to know, is the high white genetic, or random, or just raises the chances of high white in offspring? Or should i just get a rubbish one and hope for high white in the offspring?

Any advice?

Also @serpentswitch117 what have you found with the offspring from this amazing one?

Picture from serpentswitch117

Caveat: Not a white thing, I love totally black just as much. Extreems are awesome image

5 Likes

From my understanding the lower whites can throw high white and vice versa.

5 Likes

The expression does not transmit consistently. The first picture is a male Pastave Calico who is low-mid expression (sorry not disturbing him they’re locked and that female is going to ovulate in the next couple days). The second is one of his offspring who is also a Pastave Calico. The third is a high white Pastel Calico from the same clutch. You can get some wild stuff out of a snake that only has two white dots…and vice versa lol.

17 Likes

Interesting. :face_with_monocle: That second picture looks like a ringer though :thinking: Freaky :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I only got two eggs from her when she laid for me, but they were some amazing babies that came out. She’s an Enchi Calico to a OD YB Tiger 50% Het Lavender.

14 Likes

I love that dorsal! It is perfect in my opinion :blush:!

4 Likes

OD with calico is always something I love. Just always absolutely stunning. I’ve got eggs that should be dropping from my bamboo pin, I bred to my calico YB, and I’ve got an OD Hey hypo that will be getting paired to the calico next year!

5 Likes

I’m super stoked with the odds I had out of two eggs, I believe the last one is OD Calico Enchi Tiger. Both of them are definitely keepers. And it’s amazing to me how OD reacted with Calico. Still on the fence on whether or not it has YB either. But either way, amazed that I got such a great combo.

5 Likes

If you enjoy the morph, go for the best. It may not matter when it comes to offspring, or does it?

I’ll have to find a pic of my original OD Sugar male.

12 Likes

It might matter when you open the tub and you can just stare because of the beauty :blush:

5 Likes

That’s exactly my point.
IMG_20220315_210213

17 Likes

The colors on that snake are absolutely insane. Is this considered sugar or calico? They’re thought to be the same right?

1 Like

She is my Calico Od Yb Spider pos Leopard

9 Likes

Such a cool look!

2 Likes

I think it’s highly variable but I know some high whites are selectively bred to be that way so the chance of high whites is higher in the offspring.

3 Likes

I am agree!! This is the father: Od Spider Calico

9 Likes

I like that one! It is insanely nice!

2 Likes

I actually just had this discussion with a group of people in the past week. As it was explained to me, calico/sugar just like pied is random. High expression calico can throw low expression, and low expression can throw high. Now I agree with Osborne that the quality of calico/sugar is what will male the ultimate difference. A high quality example can be exceptional with a high or low expression :smiley:

5 Likes

Incredible examples of calico/sugar everyone!

I haven’t found this to be the case with pieds despite popular opinion. My high pattern to high pattern pieds have produced almost all high pattern pieds. Same male bred to a lower white pied produced a range of expression. I’ve talked to a few pied breeders with far more experience than I that echo the same experience. I’m not sure why the consensus has been that it is completely random in the past.
Maybe over time selective breeding has narrowed down polygenic influence resulting in more stable outcomes? I don’t have enough clutches under my belt to conclusively determine either way but that’s been my experience thus far.

6 Likes

I would like to echo this☝️ And I’ve always thought the popular opinion leans the other way with the people I talk to. I’ve never thought the amount of pied is completely random. I have spider pied and even the non spiders off spring are high white never get low white from this line.
The pieds I’ve dealt with consistently produce the same amount of pattern over multiple clutches.

5 Likes