Is everything in this safe for bearded dragons to eat?

#beardeddragon

2 Likes

What is this for? Is it made to feed reptiles?

1 Like

There is quite a bit of missing information here, but looking just at the ingredients, it would not be suitable for a bearded dragon’s dietary requirements. This however looks like it could potentially be a decent feeder food, depending on ratios and nutritional value breakdown as a whole.

I know there is 24% protein

And thank you so much for answering

Looks like baby food ingredients to me. Super interested to know what it actually is.
In any case, I wouldn’t feed it to a herp without a lot more info than just an ingredients list.

1 Like

This is NOT safe for bearded dragons. It is easy to get proper insects and vegetables and this is meant for mammals, not reptiles (it’s vegetarian dog food).

3 Likes

Very good detective skills @erie-herps

1 Like

It’s vegan dog food

I know that but why is it not safe for them?

But is it safe for them?

It is because the appropriate food supplement is easy to acquire. Just because humans make the choice to be vegetarian doesn’t mean that kind of choice can be made for a reptile that eats bug. It is a different kind of protein.

2 Likes

They were not saying it safe for dragons, they were saying it is safe for the feeders (bugs) to eat.

2 Likes

Will it kill your animal? Not immediately. Is it good for them? No. Will it cause health complications that over time contribute to their death? Yes.
This would be a good food to feed a dubia colony though.

It’s not a natural food item and since proper food is so readily available I find it pointless to feed food that is untested on reptiles, more expensive, and likely harmful long-term. I additionally have a moral problem with forcing unnatural human beliefs (being vegetarian/vegan, I’m vegetarian myself for clarification) on animals that require meats/insects to survive (dogs, lizards, snakes). I believe “if you can’t properly feed an animal, don’t get it”.

1 Like

I agree that anything formulated for dogs is totally inappropriate for reptiles, as well as feeding to animals that are fed to reptiles. It’s kinda common knowledge that it interferes with absorption of Calcium.

Edited to add side note: Vegan dog food is also imbalanced for dogs. I’ve only heard of one vegetarian diet that was proven adequate & it is only available via prescription. Forgive me for mentioning but I’m a dog/cat vet & can’t help myself.

1 Like

This is actually quite good to feed to a dubia colony as a food, not a gutload. Plant protein is optimal for a feeder type colony of dubias over animal protein. Dubia cannot secrete uric acid, it builds up over time as it is stored as energy. The end result is a gout bomb for your dragon when you feed sub adult or adult dubia roaches off. The high plant protein content and vitamin richness of the food will help the colony to maintain health, and it will reduce the risk of females eating the male dubias wings.

The contents of this vegan dog food when fed as a food source (not a gutload) to feeders would not cause interruption of calcium absorption.

Not referring or commenting specifically on the dog food mentioned in this thread, but in the Blue Tongue Skink community dog/cat food is commonly regarded as a staple (as long as it’s high quality).

If the OP is looking for a way to incorporate veggies in a prepared formula, you can try Bluey Buffet and I believe Repashy might make a more bearded dragon-centric formula also.

I am curious as to the specific ingredients that are cause for concern here though. I can imagine peanuts, salt, canola oil, and such would not be good.

Ok makes sencethank you so much