Is this an Axanthic?!?

Just saw this female ball python at a lil small mom and pops pet store. They have it labeled as a pastel. However it’s pretty gray in person and I’m wondering if its an axanthic of some sort?

2 Likes

Only information I have is the person couldn’t keep it so they gave it to the pet shop.

1 Like

Definitely looks Axanthic.

5 Likes

Nice…Poor girl looks to be at the end of a bad shed. That is a beauty of a snake.

4 Likes

I know I wanted to get some opinions on the morphs hopefully I can get her away from there her shed was bad. Her eyes were very clear no caps on them . But it would be a heck of a steal!

1 Like

Ok thanks! The lady there said all she could remember was pastel. Could it possibly be axanthic pastel?

1 Like

I would agree that looks to be a Axanthic.
But if you plan to purchase her for breeding projects, I would hold off. It will take you a fair amount of work finding out which line of Axanthic she is, and any hatchlings would be a hard sell given you don’t know the line of Axanthic she is. Most people won’t invest in a visual Axanthic without knowing the line.
If you’re getting as a pet, I wouldn’t worry to much about that.

6 Likes

:100: looks like Axanthic

2 Likes

Thanks definitely appreciate the info! Is there any info you can give me where I could possibly start searching to see what line she may possibly be?

1 Like

Looks axanthic to me. Not a doubt in my mind!

2 Likes

Thanks!! I was thinking the same when I saw it just wasn’t sure. The lady said it was a pastel and whoever had it couldn’t keep it. I’m wondering if it is a axanthic pastel. I tried searching the market and saw a few that looked similar

I’m not seeing pastel but pastel can fade to the point were it’s hard to even see it. Axanthic also can fade badly as well. Pastel is possible but imo it’s not pastel.

2 Likes

Ok cool sounds like a winner either way im excited lol.

2 Likes

I know there are very subtle differences between each line of Axanthic. Now how to tell or where to find that out I couldn’t say.
Possibly @t_h_wyman or @osbornereptiles may be able to lend some knowledge, both are good with genetic identification.

If it was me, I would not invest in a Axanthic without knowing the line.

6 Likes

I don’t believe @simba2784 is in the us. So that may help determine what line it is. And I don’t believe you can visually tell the differences in the lines. But if anyone knows how you can feel free to correct me here.

4 Likes

There is nothing really definitive unless you are dealing with BlkAx, which that animal pretty clearly is not. I would also be inclined to say it is not a Joliff, mostly because Joliff has basically dropped from the hobby.

Beyond that there is no real way to know

5 Likes

I live here in the US. Down in Louisiana.

1 Like

So it could essentially be any line of axanthic then, you’d have to systematically start crossing her with a male from each line of axanthic in order to figure out which one she is (starting with VPI would probably be your best bet). It’s doable, but doesn’t seem worth it unless you got lucky on the first try

1 Like

My apologies I must be thinking of someone else.

1 Like

Hopefully soon I’ll invest in a male thats maybe het axanthic

1 Like