Is this overweight for a 2 year old corn?

This girl is 2 years old and fed once every 2 weeks on a jumbo mouce is this too much and should i reduce it? Ive not had any issues with digestion or regurgitation

Just want to make sure im doing everything right for my animals and make sure they are in the best of health so if anyone can give some advice thanks

7 Likes

That’s pretty big for her age. I don’t think she necessarily needs to lose weight, but I’d like to see her gain a little more length. I would drop the feeder size down to a medium mouse (like around 25 grams) and keep the 2 week schedule.

9 Likes

ok thanks I already have some mediums in so that should be no problem!

6 Likes

Definitely agree with @solarserpents. Personally I wouldn’t be feeding any adults jumbo mice at that interval, or really at all. Jumbos tend to be retired breeders and seem to have a higher fat content. You can’t really judge snakes on just age + weight, you have to consider age, weight, activity, body condition, breeding status, genetics. Some snakes will just get larger much more quickly while others will stay smaller. You can ask @lumpy about fast growing girls. :joy:

Tips for the future: the larger the meal, the bigger the feeding interval. If you’re feeding jumbos, go something like 18-21 days between feeds instead of every 2 weeks. It’s also better to feed slightly smaller than too large, imo. I never go bigger than a large for regular feedings, I’ve got all my adults on mediums right now (I tend to go by what RodentPro has better pricing on, since I buy in bulk).

5 Likes

I have to weigh Leaky but she might be breaking 400 grams lol :joy:.

5 Likes

ok thanks! Ill make sure to reduce to mediums I’ve already got a bag in so it shouldn’t be a problem at all

5 Likes

its surprising how fast some snakes can grow lol

4 Likes

Still can’t freaking believe the runt is gonna be a 400g barely over yearling, that’s absolutely wild!

5 Likes

leaky is just a miracle overall!

4 Likes

That she is, it’s great to see her continuing to thrive. She’s also proof that overweight is relative to size, not age, lmfao.

4 Likes

I am seeing +600 grams by 2 years old lol :joy:

4 Likes

She’s gonna be a massive adult at this rate, I can’t even imagine.

4 Likes

Yeah, she really is. I am so blessed to have her. Jess is wonderful also :wink:.

4 Likes

7 feet here we come lol :joy:. And I feed her so little for her size too :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

we need the 20ft corns next lol

4 Likes

Guinness Book here she comes, “World’s Largest Captive Corn Snake”.

4 Likes

I love that if anyone mentions Leaky, the entire thread is taken over lol :joy:. Her size has influence :rofl:.

4 Likes

Your girl should be wonderful on a reduced diet for right now @shadowspiderjack. She is a beautiful girl too, love the colors she has going on.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m planning on paring her with a male next breeding season too. Her total genes are Fire pied het anery and pos hypo so i bought a male bloodred pied het hypo and anery so hopefully she proves out hypo too. I’m just waiting for him to be shipped over. Its a paring I’m super excited for too.

4 Likes

I love fire and pied in corn snakes. I really hope to get a high white one someday. Good luck on the pairing!

4 Likes