Is this scale rot?

I’m worried about this girl. I think she has the beginnings of scale rot. How do I go about helping her?

2 Likes

It could be if mine was anything to go by, however if so, its EXTREMELY minor. If you want to play it safe, treat it like an open cut. Vetericyn spray dailey, 1:10 betadine:water luke warm bath (10 minutes) every other day (5 minute pure water bath prior in case thirsty). Switch her substrate to paper towels or reptizorb and keep away from humidity for a week or so.

With the color, id say if it was, it looks to be already healing, but it never hurts to play it safe. Though, the discharge would be more where the scales meet than over them. Scalerot is like a blistering disease, starts at the skin

5 Likes

Okay I will do that. I’ve never had to deal with it before but I do have all the stuff just in case something ever happened. It’s good to be prepared. Thank you so much for your help it is greatly appreciated :blush:

3 Likes

Catching things early is always best, and if its nothing, no harm done playing it safe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Not only are you being a good keeper to your snake, but it helps me and others to know what scale rot might look like when it’s JUST starting so we can catch it early and act accordingly!

4 Likes

I just want the best for my snakes and if it helps other people’s snakes as well it makes me very happy :grin:
Here’s my girl being silly :blush:

4 Likes

Looks like very minor damage to me, scale rot might be more sticky in my experience.
Could be previous mite damage in the healing process or something else.
Just an opinion, others will know more and I am happy to be corrected.
Best bet whatever it is is extreme hygiene, remove any wood or other substrate, clean tank and maybe paper substrate till it looks better.

2 Likes

Here was my experience with it, the beginning posts are more relevant than the later ones

2 Likes

I think just go to the post and copy the URL like I did below
but go to the first post or the post you want to show.

3 Likes

Is this the one you mean?

If you want to add it to your post you can copy the url from the topic or the below text and remove the space between the morphmarket and the .com.
https://community.morphmarket. com/t/scale-rot-in-ball-pythons/29831

4 Likes

Thats the one! I use the phone app, so there is no URL for me haha

2 Likes

Thank you so much for everyones help and opinions this really helps me a lot!!!

2 Likes

No problem, best of luck!

1 Like