Jumping spider Breeding! 🕷️

3 days ago I did something :shushing_face:
Now this is a first for me (spider breeding), so the night before they were both fed, and the following day I put the male to the female, more smells of her especially with a fresh moult there, best way apparently!
Well He had her twice!
He tried for a third and she was like NOPE!
But Now we wait :face_holding_back_tears::black_heart:

8 Likes

Now I am reading a lot of conflicting advice, either remove egg sac from female after she’s finished guarding (usually 1/2 weeks).

OR

Remove female (NOT an option for me as she’s got a bio enclosure and I won’t be pulling her out her home)

OR

Let the babs hatch and catch as they do :joy:
(More so for this)

5 Likes

Also, did you know the 4 instar is when you need to start separating babs as they can start killing and eating each other around then :sweat_smile:

Who knew!

I think I’ll keep as many separate as I can I won’t lie.

I think the oh is gonna kill me…

Baby jumpers everywhere because I won’t let any die :joy:

5 Likes

I’m glad we get to go through this new journey of jumper breeding together! I’m probably gonna leave my girl with the egg sac the entire time because i’ve read it can be stressful for the sac to get taken away. I put mine in a separate smaller container for pairing and they did just fine so really hoping the pairing was successful! Very excited to see your breeding journey and hope you get tons of good babies!

7 Likes

I’m so excited!
As soon as you have an egg sac post up! And I’ll post mine and we’ll be in this together! :black_heart:

7 Likes

I feel like I’ve usually seen people leaving the sac with Mom until they emerge. I seem to recall reading/hearing that the hatch rate tends to be better that way…though I can’t remember where I heard that, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

I’ve seen folks put a stocking over Mom’s enclosure once she makes her sac, to maintain air flow while keeping the babies from escaping out ventilation holes when they emerge. Seemed like a clever solution.

5 Likes

OH. MY. GOODNESSSSSS :spider::spider::spider:

6 Likes

YAYYYY!!! i’m not home right now and won’t be until tomorrow but i wonder if Venus has made anything yet. I’m so excited for you!!!

4 Likes

Cannot wait! 4-6 weeks wait now :joy::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Come on Venus!! You were only a couple days after me so hopefully!! :black_heart:

4 Likes

I have many mini spiders in the nest!! So freaking fast?!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Woo hoo for babies!! Venus still hasn’t done anything :frowning_face: I’m starting to think that the pairing just wasn’t good enough but i’m not sure if i should try again now or just keep waiting. She was paired on July 11 so it’s almost been a month now. Anyways, congrats on the babies!!

5 Likes

She’s taken her time, maybe try pair again if nothing? You sure he got her? X

4 Likes

He definitely got her and went back for several rounds to be sure. I’ll just keep waiting, she’s probably just taking her time.

4 Likes

Dude those babies are so so cute!!! :heart_eyes:

I’ve rapidly developed a fondness for a common-in-nature-but-rare-in-hobby species, and I think I’d like to try to breed them one day. They’re called P. morpheus, the Dream Jumping Spider.

Now you’ve gone and made the temptation even stronger! I’d also love to raise a Hyllus species. (Well, ok, I think I’d love to raise any jumper, hehe.) Though the idea of risking a male I’d doubtlessly feel very attached to worries me.

5 Likes

They’re absolutely stunning!

Luckily it’s easy to tell when she’s had enough, after he had her a few times she then warned him so I got him out quick! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ok that is too funny!

• Male: I love you! :heart_eyes: Can I stay the night?

• Female: I have a headache :no_entry_sign:! don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

4 Likes

Oh I wish I heard that conversation :joy:

He’s all, “Fine, you can keep the kids!!” :joy:

3 Likes

Thought you may like to know all doing well. 2nd instar now for most, think a couple still need to shed :grin:

3 Likes

This is how I’ve set them up :blush:

4 Likes