Keeping busy during Covid-19 lockdown

Mine have not enjoyed the clear tubs at all. Easy to observe them not feeding tho.
Got a rack in today it’s close sided so keeping humidity down might be tough but they should be more comfortable and hidden so we will see

This is what I’m working on currently, I just finished the model in sketchup make 2017 which is a free program. It takes a minute to get used to it, but I’ll post a link to a video tutorial below, which also has a link where you can download the program.
Anyhow, it’s a 6 tub rack for gopher and bull snakes utilizing fb-80 tubs. I could’ve added another couple of shelves to it, but I prefer to have the tubs no lower than 18" and no higher than 68". The reason for that being that it’s easier for me to service the tubs when I don’t have to squat to the ground or have them at face level when I open the tubs. Besides, this will give me some storage space above and beneath for supplies which I need desperately in my herp room.

Here’s the video tutorial and if you need some help on your wood working skills I highly recommend you check out the rest of this guys videos he’s very informative and just the right amount of entertaining. Steve Ramsey’s Wood Working for Mere Mortals.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions
2 Likes

@thebeardedherper that looks sick!

1 Like

I’m debating on TMNT theme with a dark green main color and yellow and bright green accents, or a joker theme using a purple as the main color with bright green accents. Or orange and black with some yellow accents. I did a redesign to make it a little stronger and get one more tub in…

3 Likes

I like the TMNT idea but I think black plus another is a good idea as well because black goes with anything. Either way I know they will look sick!

2 Likes

Ive gotten closer to being ready to stream on Twitch (xbox and possibly pc gaming) although Im still trying to sort out my channel a bit and my friend might help me get into esports with him and our best mutual xbox friend via an American company that plans to spread its influence to Europe and Canada down the line.

1 Like

Final draft, got it all cleaned up with fewer pieces over-all which should improve the structural integrity as well as simplify the building process somewhat. It also gives it a cleaner more professional look I think. I settled on a color scheme of dark green, bright orange, and black for a little bit of color but not an overwhelming amount. Yes even the casters follow along with the color scheme. As someone else suggested I closed up the back, but I left the sides open. Not only does this reduce the overall weight of the unit; it also lets some light pass through the tubs so the animals aren’t in a dark hole all of the time. This is for gopher and bull snakes which are often active during the day so it doesn’t make sense to shut them in a hole all the time.

3 Likes

I’ve been keeping busy with trying to write a book about snake husbandry. It won’t be a overly detailed book in regards to species. I’ve owned over 15 species of snakes so it will cover those I’m familiar and experienced with.
I don’t expect it to be finished any time soon, I’m highly critical towards myself and it may never be complete. But it definitely has filled some of my time during the pandemic and has been a lot of fun.

4 Likes

It’s not worth starting it’s own thread so I feel like this is the best place for this :roll_eyes:. I guess some people are getting bored.

1 Like

I think Iv’e seen it all now haha.

1 Like

Ive been keeping busy with my new boas and we got a new kitten that gets into everything still, shes funny though. Right before all the lockdowns and as they were starting i was in the process of upgrading my pc gaming stuff, so i got that all done and been busy gaming away a bit there. Dont know if anyone is a comic book fan but ive also been trying to snag all first issues of dark knights death metal stuff as its been coming out, recently started collecting punchlines stuff so im excited for that to come in.

4 Likes

Heck yeah on the comics! I’m not a fan at all as you can see from my favorite comic art cover.

5 Likes