Keeping busy during Covid-19 lockdown

So what’s everyone who’s on lock-down doing to stay busy? Personally I’m expanding shelving so I can upgrade tubs on some of the adult snakes, getting the herp room organized (trying anway), working on my blog, prepping for baby snakes to come, and of course playing with the critters. Surprisingly, I haven’t hopped on the Xbox once, though I binge watched a couple shows. I just got my incubator set up again and all dialed in so when eggs come, in a few weeks hopefully, I’ll be ready to go.

8 Likes

I work at Amazon so I still have something to keep me busy on the nights I pick up shifts (I work on a flex shift so I choose my shifts). I have also been playing Warframe on my PC. It has been over a year since I played it but I have a bunch of noobs to carry and teach in a new clan, so it is kinda fun to watch em struggle with bosses I can kill is a few hits. :joy:
I have also been shopping around on MM and found someone in ill-health needing to rehome all of their snakes asap, so he is selling his breeder females for rather cheap. Put a payment down on an adult albino striped black rat snake female and will be getting her in around a month. I think she may actually be a greenish rat snake, but either way I haven’t been able to find a single one like her via google so it should be fun to work with her if I ever find a male to breed her with.

2 Likes

lol noobs. Its funny how some games seem so hard at first and after a while you can’t figure out what was so hard about it. I’m glad you’re able to continue working though. And make sure to post pics of the snake when you get it.

1 Like

Not on lock down yet (work at a truck stop so doubtful it’ll happen) but if it does… Me and GF recently moved to a new apartment and jobs got us hectic on normal days, nevermind now, so getting it put together would be high on the list. Then there’s the snake room that just has random stuff everywhere decor, bedding, extra tubs, ect. that needs putting up in the closet. Ball python needs a complete tank redo to make it semi bioactive. Black kingsnake we need to upgrade to his 40 gallon tank (gonna be Greek underworld themed) and put the piece of furniture together that it goes on. Need to clean out and revamp the corn snakes tubs. And work on taming and bonding with our new hedgehog.

OH and work on the new map of Ark with the GF.

4 Likes

@meerkatlyndz sounds like you’ll have your hands full for a bit. I loved ark at first but quit playing. It was too grindy for me after about 300 hours

1 Like

I’ve been getting caught up on some art projects so I can at least keep the online shop stocked with fresh prints and tshirts and stuff like that. Trying not to hover over my snakes and geckos that are nesting and working on some cage upgrade plans as well. Just trying to get into a new routine until… whenever things start going back to normal haha
I’m just glad animal crossing came out when it did, no better game out there for relaxing and getting your mind off of things :joy:

2 Likes

Here is a picture of her that the breeder sent. I will get my own photos once I get her of course. She is a proven breeder and has made babies similar to herself.

I have a tank that will give her room to climb in since they are a semi-arboreal species. She is around 5 years old and is just under 5 feet long.

3 Likes

@sunfishexotics Never played it. Would love to see some of your art

1 Like

It’s a really casual game, definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m super into the series.

And sure I can share some art. I’m primarily a water color artist but mostly get commissioned to paint dogs and cats and more traditional pets. I do a lot of sticker & tshirt designs as well. Currently working on an isopod series with a large scale poster. Sorry for all the watermarks but I deal with a lot of theft.

Hopefully that works okay, I don’t usually post pics on mobile haha

8 Likes

I think I might’ve seen some of your stuff on tumblr. I love your style by the way. Might have to commission you down the road.

The Ontario premier (head of the province’s government) is forcing all non-essential businesses to close starting midnight tonight for 2 wks. (Funny how the liquor store chain is considered essential lol). I might go on xbox although I havent really enjoyed xbox since 2014. I kinda wanna play some stuff including the new doom but with my wonky vision it might be a problem. Otherwise Ill just watch a ton of youtube tv maybe some movies listen to spotify…basically the usual. I dont like the fact all non essential businesses are locked down since I seriously need a job big time. If anyone wants to hit me up on xbox lemme know via pm or something and Ill probably come on.

1 Like

i would love to see pictures of everything you’re doing. i just switched over from cypress as a substrate to coconut husk. i couldn’t be any happier, it holds the humidity so well for a while. would love to see the incubation process.

1 Like

I may go ahead and splurge on the new doom myself. My screen name on xbox is “Bearded Bounty” anyone on here is welcome to add me on there. Lately I’ve just been playing through dying light killing time when I do play. I know what you mean about needing a job. I’m a full time rideshare driver and while technically I can drive right now my wife and I also live with my parents and due to my own health issues as well as theirs I don’t trust passengers to be responsible so I’m not working right now. Fortunately I’ll be okay for a while on savings, but it’s gonna push back getting a house AGAIN… sigh… but hey that’s life.

2 Likes

I use cypress for some things but for most of my stuff I use zilla jungle floor mixed with sphagnum moss, leaf litter, and a little extra peat moss. I find it hold humidity well enough has plenty of stuff for the isopods and spring tails to eat between snake poops, and is good for burrowers too.
Not really much to show for the incubation process but when I get eggs I’ll definitely snap a few pics for ya and same when I get the new shelves up.

1 Like

We are on what the prime minister calles “an intelligent lockdown”. We are allowed to go out but only with less than three people and if you are not living together in one house, only with 1.5 meter inbetween. Almost every part of social life is forbidden but for me there is no time whatsoever to get borred. I work for local gournement and as a social worker. Normally I arranging social benefits, schooling, housing, integration ect of refugees who got their permit to stay and have to build their life in Holland. Because of corona crisis a lot of people are without job and/or income to survive. Gouvernment now promised everyone who lost (temporarily) their income that they can get compensated for their lost of income by getting social benefits from their local government for the time being till the crisis is finished and life is going back to normal. We recendly opened the chance to apply and only in my own city already in the first evening 1000 people applied for social. So it will be all hands on deck for my collegue’s and me to take care everyone get’s money to pay their bills and buy food as promissed. At the same time all schools are closed and my son’s school expects me to do home schooling with him. I don’t think there will be time to do a lot of relaxing things.

Sometimes I’m a little jealous when I read about people who are wondering what to do during the day and are exchanging tips about what netfilx series to bingewatch, but then I’m happy I still have a job and don’t have to worry about my income. I still have some structure in live in this crazy time, and at least I can contribute my own share during this mess to our community.

I’m resorting back to my younger years and playing games on my xbox one and it’s been alot of forza and other racing games but I’m also trying to be active so I walk the dogs more often, go running on my own and hiking when I can because most trails are closed where I live but the one perk of this whole lockdown is spending time with friends and catching up

2 Likes

Yeah the UK is pretty dull at the moment.

Im a hairdresser by trade, so we’re closed for atleast three weeks according to Borris.

So today, ive mended a puncture on my bike, cleaned the car, re arranged a corn snake viv, put the viv back how it was and sat infront of the xBox. Its now 1:43am and its definately time to call it quits!

I was kind of looking forward for some time off and to myself. Turns out, im pretty boring :joy:

3 Likes

would love to go bioactive but haven’t read many things on it yet…

@thebeardedherper Bearded bounty huh…if I decide to go on xbox again Ill hit you up. I left xbox live due to a lot of social drama bs I went through that left a real bad taste in my mouth…then factor in my vision quality being screwed up thanks to a Dec 2018 exam gone wrong and yep thats why I dont play xbox much these days. But given this covid19 situation and the fact that Im a gamer at heart I might be driven back on in spite of my crappy eyesight. I think my gamertag is still AlphaLaserWolf if memory serves but I dont remember if its 1 word or if theres spaces in between. I played mostly shooters like old gears of war games, halo stuff some older call of dutys etc…

2 Likes

I’m a carer for adults with mental health issues so day to day isn’t much different routine-wise. I have 5 kids that are now off school though, so the house is a lot louder and messier than usual.

As soon as I get some free time I plan on decorating the downstairs of the house, building a second snake rack and to count down the days until FF7 remake is released… As we’re swapping gamertags, mine is “Eaglereps” :wink:.

I hope to at least get a hour or two free to smash out some more of the encyclopedia aswel.

3 Likes