Keeping busy during Covid-19 lockdown

@eaglereptiles five! Jesus, youre a braver chap than i am!

1 Like

:joy: 3 girls, 2 boys.
It makes me laugh when people say “you keep snakes? What if one of them eats your kids?..”

My reply is always:
“… Don’t worry, I’ve got enough that I wouldn’t notice one missing” :joy:

6 Likes

@eaglereptiles that’s great. Do the kids get involved with the animals any?

2 Likes

The girls do, but my boys are 1 and 2 so not just yet.

The Eagle Family

Here’s Grace, 12 next month :scream:. she is the one I know if I died she would make sure my snakes were cared for properly. She really enjoys the whole experience, from cuddles to cleaning tanks and tubs she is always by my side when it comes to the snakes.

Here’s Holly, just turned 10. She literally would not touch a snake until I shown her @novisreptiles instagram page… We’re getting there slowly now.

Here is Alice, shes 7 and loves absolutely anything that moves, from ants to snakes. She would have a pet dragon if she was allowed, absolutely fearless.

Here is Edward, he turns 3 in may. He really loves snakes, a little too much :joy:. He is a little menace.

I dont have any pictures of Oliver, my youngest, with any snakes, but here is his cute little face anyway :blush:

4 Likes

You’ve got some cute kids for sure. I dont have any kids myself, but lots of nieces and nephews. One of my nieces in particular, the 13 year old, really loves them but her mom wont let her have any reptiles :pensive:. We did convince her to allow a pet rat finally, and I keep telling her to just be patient and persistent about it if she really wants one :smiling_imp:. Telling her to keep at it in a non-annoying/pestering way lol. It’s my sisters daughter so yeah I’m going to be that uncle lol. They lived with us for a while and she got attached. Her little sister likes them and loves to hold them but always asks me why I have so many she just turned 6 and expresses no interest in keeping. My oldest niece has no iij interest whatsoever and the rest are too far away and I havent seen most of them in a long time.

1 Like

Rearranging the snake room, planning next year’s projects, re-evaluating whether or not I should pursue phase 2 of breeding (I usually breed in 2 phases October/November and February/March.

Non snake stuff continue the remodeling of my house and gaming.

4 Likes

It’s good that you are starting them young with reptiles and you’ve got a adorable family! I love to see kids interested in reptiles and interacting with them early on and I firmly believe that any pets teach good fundamentals that they will keep later on for life and will aid in their future success.

3 Likes

@thebeardedherper @nathan_e Nice one guys :blush:.

Bearded, Make the most of only having nieces and nephews, you can give them back when they get annoying :joy:. Eventually with enough persistence you will get a gecko or something in your sister’s house :joy: I’m sure if you start talking about spiders she might start considering a reptile just to shut you up :joy:.

Nate, everything you wrote is spot on. I think of myself as a hygienic and empathetic person and I believe having pets of my own as a kid are what created these habits.
It genuinely makes a difference when you have living things that depend on you, from routine to learning to deal with death.
My oldest Grace is actually weighing up getting a milksnake solely for her to care for… I think she has definitely caught the bug :joy:.

2 Likes

Yeah a milksnake is a awesome first choice for a snake and the colors are just eye catching everytime. And who knows, maybe you guys could even try a mini breeding project with milksnakes if she wanted to. I have gotten my younger cousins into reptiles by involving them in the breeding of my snakes and they absolutely love seeing the process from egg to baby and waiting for the eggs to hatch makes them learn to develop better patience as well so it’s a all around good experience.

1 Like

Indeed , really cute kids!!! You are a hero for working and still keeping your family going now they are all off from school. I already have my hands full with a job and keeping one child busy and doing his home assignments he get’s from school and I don’t even have to go out to do my job.

1 Like

@nathan_e They really are beautiful snakes. We saw one in a pet shop a while back while we were getting rats and she fell in love. If it is something she sticks with then I can definitely see her having her own breeding project going, she is very hands on.

@lindasark thank you :blush: as much as I would love too, I can’t take all of the credit. My wife works in the same line of work but with teenagers/young adult and (don’t tell her I said this) really it’s her that keeps the house running smoothly. The kids are entertaining each other as much as we do, but we will see how long that lasts :joy:. But we’re actually quite young ourselves considering how many children we have, so I’m guessing this youthful fire that has kept me going is going to burn out one day… I’m trying to make the most of it while it’s still flickering :blush:

Thank you for all your lovely comments guys :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

I’ve dyed my hair and half my body purple :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Come on now, you cannot leave us hanging like that… Front half/back half? Top half/bottom half? Left half/right half? Randomly splotched over 50%?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

@thebeardedherper @eaglereptiles I msg’d ya both on xbox and added you both if thats ok. Im not on much really on account of xbox becoming a psychological/emotional source of social hell for me but meh.

2 Likes

I put it up on my story last night :joy:

Summary

6 Likes

I think we need the color version of this to appreciate the purple lol. I can imagine in t though. Back when my wife used to dye her hair red at home the tub would look like someone was murdered.

2 Likes

@annakirby i manage a Hair Salon in the UK if you need any guidance haha

2 Likes

It seems most, if not all of us, are eventually going to be self isolating or in a lockdown situation at some point or another. Rather than sitting around scratching our heads and worrying about the world outside, let’s use this time, that on any other occasion we would yearn for, productively.

This forum is going to be a light in a dark place for a lot of us, let’s throw together some links, from both here and the rest of the internet, that can help pass the time.
Anything from scientific studies to articles about random reptiles, videos of reptiles in nature to whole documentaries… anything useful at all.

The community will survive this and will be waiting with open arms (ok, maybe from a distance to start with) to get going again, let’s up our game to the next level, let’s get educated.

Here are a few to start this off:

Google Courses

Google’s Digital Garage
Google’s Developers Training
Google’s Analytics Course
Grow with Google

Google Scholar Studies

Google Scholar - Reptiles - General

Google Scholar - Snakes - General

Google Scholar - Lizards - General

Google Scholar - Spiders - General

Google Scholar - Ball Pythons - General

Reptile Documentories

David Attenborough - Life 2 - Reptiles and Amphibians

Life in Cold Blood

Nature - The Reptile: Snakes

Morphmarket Topics

Grow em bigger faster breed sooner

The Blue Ghost Project

Welcome to the Dark Side. Show your dark morphs

New Morph? The Wrecking Ball Project

Easy Foolproof Egg Setup

New owner with non feeding hatchling, troubleshooting 101

Morph Encyclopedia (In Progress) Part 2

Let’s discuss this month in videos

Reptile of the Month - March Submissions

Keeping busy during Covid-19 lockdown

11 Likes

@wreckroomsnakes @stewart_reptiles
Any chance we can get this merged with Keeping busy during Covid-19 lockdown?

I would like to add this to that topic but don’t want to created repeated mess. :blush:

Thank you

2 Likes

Sounds good to me I’m assuming an admin has to do that?

1 Like