Leopard gecko split tail during shipping- advice please!

I am the same, I don’t own a leopard gecko (use to many years ago) but I’ve been following in hope she keeps her tail.

So happy she is healing nicely :grin: you have done a wonderful job caring for her.

I look forward to more updates :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you @foxreptile and @solarserpents !! It’s nice to hear from other people in the hobby with actual compassion for these animals! I get really discouraged sometimes because it feels like so many people view reptiles as a commodity or collectible. Seeing how my gecko arrived just confirmed that. I wish people would either give them the respect and care they deserve or just find another hobby (one that doesn’t involve anything living or breathing). Upsetting!

4 Likes

I’m a first time reptile mom and am inexperienced in a lot of things with them. However I’ve gone through a lot of incidents with my dog when he was a pup.

Is it possible to wrap the tail? Like with medical gauze to keep the skin attached closely so it’s more likely to heal back together?

Or possibly, glue? Like a medical glue.
Again I am not an expert but these are methods I’ve used to help my dog with an injury he had done when he was a puppy.
So I’m curious if these are safe and viable options to use to maybe help the healing process so the gecko doesn’t lose the tail?

1 Like

Truly the stress of performing procedures or techniques like that could more than likely cause a gecko to completely drop the tail. It is best to let the natural course of the event to unfold.

6 Likes

I can understand that.

I’ve learned how timid they can be so I can see why something like that might be more harmful than helpful.

Thank you for the feedback!
Was something I thought I’d while reading this thread and wanted to know others thoughts on the matter.

1 Like

It has to do with that they are timid but also with the fact of the tail is already partially detached so that means you will be possibly pulling or putting pressure on the tail, presenting another reason why the tail might detach altogether.

5 Likes

It also would likely cause a problem with shedding.

5 Likes

Additionally wouldn’t that cause issues with it also getting dirty/moist because the wrapping

2 Likes

I think the wrapping would prevent that, especially if it wasn’t a clean environment (ie paper towels). A small piece of tape could work if it were placed over the wound to hold it together but I would be more worried about it coming lose and coming in direct contact with the wound. I think the best way to go about something like this is to just leave it alone.

2 Likes

Definitely agree on that, best option is just to leave it alone.

4 Likes

I completely agree, It’s very upsetting to hear :cry:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys.

That’s why I had suggested gauze because it’s to me a safe option for wound care, but I can see all of the points you both bring to the table and the concerns are obvious with it as well.

I wouldn’t personally do it, but what about glue treatment?

Even if the gecko is ok with you handling the tail. Is glue a safe treatment to do?

Again, these are things I wouldn’t personally do, but would probably seek a veterinarian for.

1 Like

I see where you are coming from and I would want to do anything I possibly could, but I just don’t see it suitable for these reptiles.

Don’t leopard geckos grow their tails back?

Tbh I wouldn’t chance glue as it could cause shedding issues, plus if the Gecko wanted to drop the tail at a later date then it won’t be able too… Causing further stress and issues down the line.

Also they store fats (or something similar) in their tail so wouldn’t the glue prevent that from happening, causing even further problems?

Yes this gecko wants to keep its tail but it’s down to the gecko to try to do this itself, while we as owners help keep it clean so it can heal properly.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I am a (dog/cat, retired) veterinarian, and glue/tape are both a very bad idea. Leopard geckos eat their skin when they shed and anything left on the skin could potentially get eaten. Bandaging a leo is a complicated thing I just went through with one of my leos & I feel it’s not appropriate for this situation.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input! I left it alone and it seems to be healing just fine. The cons of intervention far outweighed the pros. She was already super stressed from being shipped and put in a new place so leaving her completely alone was her best chance at retaining her tail. She coiled up for several days in a position that pushed the two pieces together ( the exact opposite position she was placed in the deli cup that led to the split). If this was intentional we will never know but it fused them back together. And here we are.

8 Likes

Once it’s fully healed note which direction she coils in and update it here. I’m curious if it was because of the tail or not.

5 Likes

I’m so happy for you and your gecko :grin:

3 Likes

How is the little one doing with the tail?

5 Likes

She is doing great! It’s getting there probably a couple more weeks.

20 Likes

Wow, I can’t even believe the difference! It looks so much better :grin:

4 Likes