Leopard gecko split tail during shipping- advice please!

Yay!! This makes my heart so so happy :blush:

4 Likes

Wonder if it will fully close! That’s amazing!!

5 Likes

It seems like it probably will because it’s healing from the center out and the tissue still looks nice and healthy. Will be interesting for sure!!

9 Likes

Hey that’s awesome! My wife was actually asking about her. She’ll be delighted about that.

7 Likes

Update please? :blush:

6 Likes

She is doing awesome! Tail is continuing to close. I attached an updated pic. I would say two more weeks and it will be good as new. She is eating like crazy and way more confident with her enclosure. I am going to start working on that 40 gallon because eventually I think she will do just fine in it. She does have limited sight but not blind by any means. I’m so happy it all worked out and she’s with me now. Thank you for checking in!

18 Likes

Absolutely awesome to hear! So happy for you and her :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Are there any updated pictures? She’s quite a success story!

2 Likes

Hello! Yes she is doing amazing and her tail is completely healed. There is still a tiny little gap where it connected back like 95% and when it’s curled in the opposite direction you can see it but when her tail is straight and she’s walking around or whatever it looks completely normal. She is eating like crazy, getting comfortable in her enclosure and her poops look good. Interesting fact I never shared with anyone because I didn’t want hysterics and figured it was part of the process but she didn’t poop at all while she was healing. For like three plus weeks even though she was eating. I suspect it had to do with her body going in shutdown / heal mode but very interesting. Also very interesting her tail was more than 50% disconnected and she is proof they can and will heal if they didn’t drop it from a flight response. I looove her and am so happy it worked out, thank you for checking in.

18 Likes

OMG that face :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: that is one happy gecko. I’m so glad it grew back into place. Well done to you both, you both put in a lot of effort and the results are AMAZING

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, look at her adorable smile! So cute!

6 Likes

That face just screams thank you mom!

7 Likes

Awesome! I’m so glad it’s healed. I love her expression.

4 Likes

I am so glad to have found this post that I created an account. I came home from work today and my littlest, who had been left at home with a sitter and my mom, wanted to get the gecko out. When we had her out I noticed a big gash right at the base of her tail. Needless to say I was very upset. My mom tells me the sitter had the gecko out. My kids handle this girl all the time so it was surprising to see what I assumed was a partial tail drop. I worried I never warned the sitter not to grab Nema by the tail. She’s still very curious and active so I was relieved at that. I moved her to a recovery tank and got online to see if anyone else ever had a partial tail drop. And here I find a successfully healed gecko. Did you ever apply any kind of ointment to the tail?

2 Likes

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention, I had a gecko years ago that I had taken in (confiscated) because the owner didn’t seem interested in caring for it. She had had some bad sheds while in his care. Had missing/shortened digits from the skin not shedding on the toes. I always had to soak her and help remove the shed from the toes. She also had limited vision, I assumed because of the bad sheds. I always had to hand feed her because she couldn’t see to hunt.

Have you cleaned out the enclosure or moved her to a temp hospital enclosure? That would be my biggest concern in keeping the area as clean as possible. Paper towel or carpet until it’s healed.

As long as it stays clean, I would personally avoid the antibiotics. I wouldn’t want to struggle with her to put it on or to clean the area between reapplicaton. Or only put a little on to help start the process then leave he be.
If you do put a dab on, make sure it’s the type with no painkillers.

2 Likes

The same thing just happened to me today. My geckos tail is 50% off. I’m trying to see if it could possibly heal. It’s really frustrating/upsetting. I cleaned the cage out and am just going to keep my eye on him.

3 Likes

Hopefully it will heal back up. Please keep us posted on the progress.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about this, hope it heals well :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Hey all! Update on my geckos tail. It’s been about 4 days and it’s still intact and so far so good. I’ve been dabbing betadine on the wound twice a day and keeping his cage clean and bare. His appetite is there and I’m hand feeding him to keep the cage pristine. One of my friend is a vet so she’s coaching me through it all.

8 Likes