Leopard gecko split tail during shipping- advice please!

Awesome to hear! Hope it heals back completely!

3 Likes

That’s really helpful of your friend. Glad your gecko is doing well, hope it heals soon :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hey mike unfortunately me and my gf are dealing with something similar after one of our friends mishandled the little guy if you have any info from your vet friend or in general please send them over. We’ve been debating whether or not to take him to a vet due to majority of them just saying to simply remove it. We’ve already switched the tank, paper towels , we are currently using a wound cleaner every day 1 time in the morning and another at night along with immune support, he’s eating every other day 2-3 worms - he’s pretty active - if you have any information please shoot a reply thanks!

Not sure the order it was placed in but there’s two pictures of when it first happened then one from today
November 4th - November 12th

2 Likes

Hey, so that wound is so minor compared to mine. Just keep it dry, clean cage, dab betadine on it twice a day like you are and it’ll be fine. My friend said that she’s seen wounds on leopard geckos where you could see organs and it healed fine.

2 Likes

That’s misleading. Generally that type of situation results in death and requires intensive care/hospitalization for months to survive, I assure you. (If it adds credibility to what I say, I am a retired/disabled vet and I’ve kept leos since 2002.) This happens often when debilitated geckos are predated upon by crickets left loose in their enclosure. I have example photos but I’d rather not post them here because they are very graphic and the animal did not survive.

@armani Just keep doing what you’re doing. I would take it easy with any wound cleaning agents, too much irritates tissue. With my gecko with partial tail drop, I never put any ointment on it. If you see your gecko licking at any ointments, discontinue use and seek out veterinary care at the first sign of infection (e.g. swelling, redness, discharge, foul odor, hiding/lethargy of gecko, other color changes). Minimize handling of your gecko, keep separated from any other pets, and do not leave any uneaten prey animals loose in their enclosure, especially crickets.

6 Likes

Update about a month later. My gecko has shed twice since the partial drip and it looks amazing! The tail is 90% back to where it was originally.

6 Likes

I know people are commenting that the shipper did that to the tail but there’s a chance that mid delivery the lizard was trying to drop its tail which comes naturally bruh.

1 Like

@eeeejbdkxu

By putting the gecko into a container that small, it would be the shipper’s fault regardless of if it was during shipping or while packing.
When you’re not properly shipping the animal, you are responsible for the injury caused. As a breeder, you should be packing your animals safely. Until they arrive at the new owner’s location, they are still your animal.

9 Likes