Let’s see some Inverts

A few of our slings that came in this week

A pair of Caribena Vericolors

A pair of Avicularia Purpurea (Purple Pinktoe). This is a new one to us so I’m excited to see it grow

…and not cooperating enough for a photo are 2 Velvet Spiders and a Venezuelan Suntiger

6 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes

That’s a nice enclosure. Do you have a picture of the entire setup?

4 Likes

That is a beautiful animal!!!

2 Likes

Nice creatures…what kind of Scorp is the last one though. Judging from the small pincers I assume its a buthid of some sort but which one?

2 Likes

6 Likes

7 Likes

These are my Parabuthus Capensis Orange. And thank you!

5 Likes

Honestly I think scorps have some of the cutest faces for inverts…I wish I could own some. Maybe someday I’ll live somewhere that allows them. Since this P. capensis is a buthid I bet it has pretty potent venom…I wonder if its potent enough to kill.

3 Likes

Here’s what wiki says

4 Likes

Thanks man but I looked at that already lol. I’m just wondering where this species stands compared to the others in the genus. One of my dream scorps is a buthid (I think most favs once I figure out my scorp fav list will end up buthids one way or another). Fun fact their tail isn’t really a tail at all just a skinny extension of the main body. Also their butthole is located at the end of the last “tail” section before the telson (the venom gland bulb with the stinger).

2 Likes

I will see what I can find

1 Like

This says the whole genus should be treated as medically significant

3 Likes

I think I may still want one even if it has venom that could be real dangerous to my health. One of my dream scorps is the deathstalker which is also a buthid anyways. These scorps may pack a potent punch but they also as far as inverts go pack a certain cuteness.

1 Like

When you decide to go this route you should use the “ladder method”. Don’t start by getting a highly venomous animal but start by getting mild scorpions and then some that are fast and some that are dangerous and then get the ones you want and you should be experienced enough to safely keep them.

3 Likes

Of course. Sadly all the scorps I seem to like are highly venomous buthids. The scorps with mild venom tend to have the chunky lobster claws like the emperor scorp and I wouldnt enjoy having ones with big ol lobster claws at all. I also dont wanna have a dull black chonk of a scorp. Only scorp with mild venom I can think of would probs be the asian forest one but still I wouldnt enjoy it much. Buthids despite being super venomous just seem to have the qualities I like in scorps. I like their smaller delicate pincers, big tails, lighter coloration/more colorful and easier to see cute little faces.

With T’s at least there are milder (venom wise) species I can enjoy although again theres more in the old world stronger venom group with more appeal than not but Ill have something to build my way up without sacrificing enjoyment of the creature. My dream new world is the Caribena versicolor and others in its former genus of Avicularia.

I wish scorps gave me something low level to start off with that doesnt sacrifice the enjoyment of having the animal but I dont know if they will. But ya I wouldnt just jump in the deep end of the pool to begin with lol. I’ll just admire pics of them and learn about them for now I guess (like the cute scorp I saw in this feeding vid the other day on youtube…it was some kind of buthid but its reaction was so cute when it figured out food was being offered. It raised its pincers up to the cricket as if to say “Yes I’m hungry gimme gimme the noms” lol. )

3 Likes

Unfortunately those are characteristics because they are venomous. I agree that a lot of the mildly venomous ones aren’t as cool/colorful/fun as some of the hots.

I agree, I can’t wait until I get some tarantulas. I love all of the tarantulas, my favorite NW is either the C. cyaneopubescens (GBB) or T. Blondi and my favorite old world is the P. metallica (Gooty Sapphire Ornamental).
I don’t see a reason why you wouldn’t be able to use the ladder method with tarantulas for scorpions. You would have experience with fast and venomous inverts and you would be experienced. You should still get 1 or 2 mildly venomous scorpions but you would be experienced enough from Ts that you could quickly get hot scorpions.

2 Likes