Let’s see some Varanus set ups!

We are building a custom viv for Monitors. Hand built, Custom background etc and all. The other half’s gone all out!

Would love to see some set ups of yours! :blush:

5 Likes

I can’t wait to this that progression thread! Is he excited? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Oh yes :joy: I’ll take a pic of what’s happened so far later. He’s using like grout etc with pigments mixed in, I’ve asked if I can take over the ‘rock’ effect look as I love art so would love to have my way with the viv :rofl:

5 Likes

Please share! I love watching things come together, probably why I love the show How’s it Made.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Hopefully getting one someday🤞

5 Likes

They’re an amazing species.
Funny enough people who own monitors aren’t keen on Ackies as they’re a a lot of them about… But I think they’re wicked.
They’re my fav monitor, then tree monitors, but I said I will only ever get them when I have the space to build a huge enclosure all heated outside :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Well he is officially a she!

8 Likes

Eggs are a pretty good indicator of the sex!

1 Like

Yeah, I was really wondering why she has not been interested in food the last couple days. I just figgured it was a seasonal thing but…

1 Like

At least you have a beautiful girl!

3 Likes

Yeah I’m still not 100% on Monty :joy:
I see no dingdongs when lighting up his tail :rofl:

3 Likes

Guess “she” was not done, found 2 more slugs today. She viciously destroyed a bunch of calcium and vitamin covered dubias today though!

3 Likes

Here’s our green tree monitor enclosure :smile: it was a bit rushed but it turned out well. Our boy Vash the Stampede.

6 Likes

That is so dope, I would love to have a green tree monitor one day. Would you say greens calm down with work and tolerate handling?

1 Like

Green trees for sure recognize their people. They’re very skittish by nature and untrusting with strangers. With daily work you can desensitize them but building trust comes with consistency. Green trees can grow to enjoy human affection and attention like savannah monitors do if introduced and socialized early enough. Otherwise they can come to tolerate it well and may seek it out with a trusted human.

They’re highly intelligent! Ours attempt to open the sliding glass door by using his body weight as leverage.

We plan to breed them but we will be very selective with the babies because some people buy them for leather.

They are very rewarding to have as a pet with proper care and very entertaining to observe.

4 Likes

Would love to see your large monitor lizards setups

2 Likes

That enclosure looks great! Job well done!!! How big is the enclosure? 6’L/2’D/4’H? My next project is probally going to be an uprade to something about that size for my female Ackie Monitor, especially if i end up getting her a male!

3 Likes

It’s 8ft L, 5ft H, and 2ft D. It’s more than they need but when we built it my husband said “they’re our babies” and I agreed lol

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say more than they need at all, the bigger the better! Infact a lot would say go bigger if you can!
We want a massive 10-20ft one for tree monitors, but we need to move first as want to build a huge outdoor heated enclosure…
I want them so bad :joy:

3 Likes