Looking for advice on spiders

When you are making statements that go against what is commonly accepted it is nice to know where it comes from and see it. @owalreptiles keeps an amazing list of these and keeps it up to date and neither single gene spotnose or super chocolate is on the list as a problem. Nor have I myself ever read or heard that either is an issue.

@wreckroomsnakes works with spotnose more than anyone that I know maybe she can speak on single gene spotnose and wobble.

4 Likes

All i can tell you is that as most people on here know about 80% of my collection has spotnose and i have produced MANY spotnoses single gene and combos over the years. The ONLY ones that had a wobble were combined with champagne or hidden gene woma. NONE of my single gene spotnose or combos have a wobble. I know the super form spotnose (powerball) does have a wobble and justin did address the wobble in the POWERBALL in a farily recent video and did state that spotnose in single gene does not.

7 Likes

Apologies then, but as I’d heard it from multiple people and have also seen multiple single-gene Spotnose animals displaying minor symptoms of the wobble syndrome (in person, with my own eyes), I was under the impression that this was common knowledge.

3 Likes

i am starting to wonder how some people are defining “wobble syndrome” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

I’m sorry, but doesn’t this happen in hatchling balls that are forced out of the egg early? Not because of a wobble gene. @wreckroomsnakes this might be one of the things people are trying to say are from the wobble. In reality it is just a baby whose egg didn’t need cut yet.

5 Likes

I know for me personally I notice “wobble” (which it isn’t part of the neuro morphs) in any hatchling especially during the excitement of feeding. As for true wobblers I produced a baby (butter champagne poss ghost enchi calico OD) that corkscrewed after hatching. I kept that baby to give it the optimal care (I don’t trust many lol) and as she has grown her wobble is greatly reduced and only noticeable when startled or if not supported during holding. So I only define a wobble when exterior stressors like feeding aren’t in play.

4 Likes

I haven’t noticed a difference in babies that pip on their own vs those I cut… I also don’t cut before a couple pip anyway though. I feel like as babies they definitely lack muscle control at a young age and that strengthens over time.

3 Likes

And here in lies the problem. The amount of misinformation passed around in the hobby is overwhelming.

First: What exactly is meant by "forcing out of the egg early? This makes it sound like people are literally yanking baby ball pythons out of the egg. Cutting an egg is not forcing them out early. They will leave when they are ready to. Do some leave the egg before absorbing all the yolk yes, but i have had several do the exact same thing when they pipped on their own. I understand there is many schools of thought on the whole “egg cutting” issue (not something i am going to debate on either) and to each their own. Personally i have never seen a difference in babies that pipped on their own vs ones that were cut.

Second: If people are indeed counting the slightist movement of the head as a wobble then they do not understand the true defining characteristics of the “wobble syndrome”. Even full grown healthy adults will have a slight movement from side to side in a full extention of the body without support from below when focusing on something just out of reach. This IS NOT A WOBBLE NOR SHOULD IT BE CLASSIFIED AS WOBBLE SYNDROME

7 Likes

Totally agree and that definitely could be the misinformation people are getting. I have seen it countless times where a new owner thinks their bp has “wobble” because of the slight head movements that can be seen. I am afraid that the whole spider wobble topic has really blinded some to the actual facts of the syndrome in all neuromorphs… I also hate calling them wobble morphs lol.

4 Likes

lol i have an issue with the term spider complex. Once people here spider they automatically assume wobble.

4 Likes

So true! I suppose just like other complexes they picked the name based on the first morph noted for it… but we could certainly come up with something else I’m sure. unfortunately I doubt it would catch on well since spider complex is so widely used now… and side note: I never realized how many neuro morphs I have until a friend actually asked! lol

Out of 135 total animals currently in my care (some are waiting to ship) I have 34 neuromorphs… 36 if you can count spotnose. I also have chocolate but my chocolate champagne doesn’t show any neurodivergence (is that a good description?)

2 Likes

did you mean you have 34 animals with a neuro morph?

2 Likes

Yes… typing too fast

3 Likes

I believe @saleengrinch can chime in on this one. From what I have seen and what Shaun has said many times is that cutting too early does result in underdeveloped babies. Like ones with small heads and skinny necks.

3 Likes

In my opinion it does but I don’t believe it would contribute to a wobble. I think common sense pretty much dictates longer in the egg means more developed. But both @steelserpents and @wreckroomsnakes have produced enough babies to draw there own conclusions based on there own individual experiences.

4 Likes

I know it wouldn’t contribute to wobble, but @inspirationexotics was saying lack of muscle development near the head was a sign of wobble. The lack of muscle development could just be a hatchling that needed to stay in the egg longer.

1 Like

But what everyone fails to specify is “too early” … is cutting before any pip too early? Is cutting them after a couple pip still too early? Maybe cutting day 40 is but then again development is temperature depended so when I cut at day 55 mine usually are popping at day 52/53 where some incubate at a lower temps so day 55 may be really early. … just my opinion on that.

3 Likes

I don’t consider that early imo

I read that wrong I consider it cutting early when you cut before any pip. Now obviously there’s a huge difference between cutting at 40 as opposed to 55. And yes temperatures play a part as well. That’s why I don’t cut way to many variables and not worth it in my opinion.

6 Likes

I think a wobble or deformation that was acquired due to cutting the egg open before a pip has nothing to do with the genetic “wobble” found in spiders, etc. A “wobble” is not always found in spiders, nor is that all that this can be found in. I have a friend with a spider ball with very little wobble. Doesn’t it 100% depend on chance and genetics?

I know Enigma syndrome in leopard geckos is another heated controversial topic.

1 Like

All spiders have wobble. Some just don’t show it much.

4 Likes