Looking for advice on spiders

Hi, I’m first gonna start off by saying I don’t want this to turn into a complete s**t show. I really like the way a couple of the snakes I want with spider and I’ve heard that if you breed on with no wobble it’s baby’s won’t have a wobble either is this at all true? Or is it just random

3 Likes

It is random, to some extent. And also all snakes that have wobble morphs, wobble in some regard, from barely noticeable to corkscrewing. The gene that is spider causes the Nero effect, so if no Nero effect it is not a spider.

10 Likes

Completely random … I have a wobble mom and her babies are fine unless they are super stressed like feed time. That’s pretty common with all neuro morphs.

7 Likes

As above, but I hear black pastel counteracts the wobble.
Others, Is it black pastel, am I right?

On your more sensitive point that you want to avoid here -There is a massive thread all about pros and cons of spiders if you want to avoid the arguments about that here but read the comments.

4 Likes

Black head

8 Likes

@chesterhf thanks for the info, I am interested in spider + morph that reduces the risk of wobble too.
Spider has some wonderful qualities if one can remove the wobble.
No comment on others choices , but for me I dont like the wobble or corkscrew personally.

4 Likes

I will try to find it but Travis has a wonderful explanation of it by using a drilling analogy.

3 Likes

The thing is if you combine blackhead and spider, it ends up taking away most of the spider pattern, which I imagine is the main draw for breeding them, so it seems kind of pointless. Plus it doesn’t completely cancel out the wobble, it’s just a partial rescue

5 Likes

@chesterhf K i didnt know that, thanks :+1:
I wish there was a way, they are way better than sugar/calico to me.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind when planning spider projects is that certain other morphs have a tendency to make the wobble worse when mixed with the spider gene.

7 Likes

Oh really I didn’t know that would you mind listing such morphs? Thanks

2 Likes

The morph problem list has them on it having trouble finding the link lol. Genes like sable spotnose are a couple. A good rule of thumb is your better off not stacking wobble genes.

3 Likes

Some can also be fatal, like spider+spider and champagne+spider.

Here is the link that has all known BP morph issues for anyone that wants a complete list.

6 Likes

To add to this, champagne is also a wobbler. The only reason I own him was I actually forgot about the champagne wobble temporarily and purchased him for a project that I’ve since scrapped.

But I hear it’s not as bad as spider(can’t confirm and I’m definitely not fond of balls anyways so I’m not in the loop as I use to be). I personally have a champagne and you can tell he’s a bit uh, lacking in the brain department.

No corkscrewing in my boy, but you can notice subtle head movements that look off, compared to morphs not known to wobble.

2 Likes

I didn’t see this when I first replied to him, thank you I was about to dig for the list lol

1 Like

Single gene spotnose, super chocolate, and super cypress also need to be added to that list, all have been confirmed by multiple breeders to wobble.

I will say that it’s random. Some breeders will say they only breed animals with minor wobble syndrome, but those animals can produce animals with severe symtpoms and vice versa. And lumpy is correct, all snakes that carry the gene have the wobble syndrome, just not all may display severe symptoms. In addition to the noticeable wobbling/corkscrewing that we tend to think of as severe, snakes with neuro genes can also have diminished righting ability (difficulty righting themselves if turned over), lack of muscle development near the head and in the tail, balance difficulties, and tremors that are not visible to the naked eye. These can happen to animals even if they don’t visibly show a ‘wobble.’

2 Likes

Who has said that they have a wobble? Spotnose in single gene form and super chocolate are known for not having a visual wobble.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that single gene spotnoses were just fine

5 Likes

Interesting, I’d not heard super chocolate was susceptible to wobble. Can you share where this info is/who’s experienced this?

3 Likes

Bob Vu has confirmed on his FB multiple times about super chocolate and super cypress to my knowledge, as has a German breeder and a Canadian breeder, I believe. JKR has also said in these forums that single gene Spotnose can wobble, just that a visual wobble is rare. All of these are from my memory, I didn’t think I’d need to bookmark them.

1 Like