Looking to buy first Boa (BCI)

Hi,

I’m looking to buy my first Boa. Looking for something like a Hypo Jungle or something similar. I’ve had Burmese Pythons and many other species, but don’t want another snake that will get so large. My question is, the Burmese Pythons I’ve have all been docile like puppy dogs and never struck. I haven’t seen or heard the same from most of the people I talk to or the videos I watch of the BC/BCi’s. what are you all’s experience with them being extremely docile and not striking. ,

Also, is there a recommended store or breeder that has a reputation of selling tame/docile snakes(if that’s such a thing)

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum superdave :blush:

To stop any favouritism or potentially leading you to a bad deal, we don’t allow seller recommendations on the forum :blush:

In my experience (I only have 2) boas are incredibly docile and if you handle them regularly then they are the perfect snake. A lot of people will disagree but I think they make a perfect first snake to someone that is serious about their care.

1 Like

If you’d like a docile BI, I definitely recommend going with a Colombian. They are much calmer than Central American localities. They are also much larger, though.

1 Like

great, thanks!

oops! didn’t know about that. sorry.

1 Like

The perfect pet snake in opinion at that length. I have one but hoping for another soon! Kai has tagged me once, but it was my fault.
I would recommend using the trust building methods that you would use with Brums.
Personally I have target trained Kai by showing him a pair of light pink tongs and then using those same paint tiles to feed him the rat.

2 Likes

Hi, I also think your average boa can make one of the best pets… but I also am biased. lol

I don’t really have any trouble with boas biting, or striking.

To give you context, I am blind, so I don’t even get the opportunity to read the animals before reaching in.

Even still, I don’t get any attitude from anyone. :slight_smile:

I think a boa should make you happy.

8 Likes

It’s very impressive that you are able to work with snake without being able to see them. If you feel like sharing, I’d find it really interesting to know what techniques you use to safely handle your animals. I hope that if I ever lose my vision, I’ll be able to learn how to compensate and still care for animals.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Unfortunately though, most of my answers aren’t too insightful. lol

As far as safely handling, I guess it’s not much different than for those who can see.

Most of the time when you pick up an animal that isn’t happy with you, you can tell pretty quickly.

You can get a hiss, which on it’s own doesn’t mean everything, but I’d be lying if I didn’t freeze and move extremely slowly when I hear one. :slight_smile:

This usually happens for me when you first touch the animal.

Then I just scoop the animal up. I do try to go in as low on the body as I can.
If I can slide my hand straight underneath them, that’s always good.

Then once your holding the animal, you will notice that the snake is loose and relaxed (Which is a good thing usually), or the snake will show one or several other signs that it’s stressed out.

Those could be pulsing, continued hissing, flopping or flailing, or their body stretches out, and they feel tense.

Depending on how the snake is acting from there will decide how things go.
lol

To keep from taking over this thread I’ll stop here, but if people are genuinely interested, feel free to start a thread.
I will answer the best I can, and maybe others with disabilities can chime in on how they work with there boas!

5 Likes

I have developed a neurological problem which makes my hands numb. Sometimes I need to get help from a friend for fine motor tasks such as probing and injections. It’s not really a true disability, but it can be a little frustrating, because I used to be able to do those thing myself.

3 Likes

BI’s are great animals! I have found that they are overall very tolerant of handling and can have great dispositions. My t1 angry male by far has the most trusting disposition of any animal I have ever owned. He has no head shyness whatsoever and doesn’t react at all being touched or prodded anywhere by an onslaught of young children. To be fair he has been handled almost everyday by me since he was a baby 4 years ago, so if you put in the work and time be assured you can have a great relationship!

3 Likes

My boy is just about 3 and I got him at 8 months. It took about 2-2 1/2 week of handling everyday or cleaning to get home to the point there is no pull back when his head is touched. He is a non issue

Ps holding like that for photo

4 Likes

thank you!

that’s’ awesome t-a!

I have a hypo jungle. I wish I could recommend her breeder but I don’t think that’s allowed!

She is gorgeous, when I got her she was already beautiful, but after some sheds she’s gotten a gorgeous pink on the sides of her tail and a pinkish hue going all up the sides of her body and on her head that gets more striking each shed! Her back is more of a yellowish tint. I actually named her Dawn because her coloration just made me think of a sunrise.

When it comes to personality, they’re wonderful! On average they’re pretty friendly and calm. Obviously if you never handle them they can get nasty (more fear based than anything), but provided you handle them with any frequency they’re very easily handled even by complete beginners. I got my girl at only 2 months old and she was a sweetheart right from the get-go.

1 Like

If you are looking for a calm snake that doesn’t get huge, then I definitely consider a Sand boa. I have many. They are great snakes if you handle them fairly often and make sure they are socialized. Make sure you do your research (not that I don’t think you will) before buying because they are a bit different froM the other snake should own. And they stay pretty small.

1 Like

I really want to promote central american boa’s and hope one day they will get rid of their reputation of being nippy. They are absolutely great. I have one Nicaragua boa going to two years now and handled five of her sisters as baby’s. And I have two going to one year old Sonora boa’s, a female and a male and they are really very docile. Only the Sonora girl hissed at me in the beginning but after picking her up three times she never hissed again. All of them I got as babies. I can give them to my son without any worry. The only thing I noticed is that they climb more and really seem to get a lot of trust during handling if they can wrap their tail around something. A common boa loves that already but they even more. So my son did get nervous from them in the beginning because he could hardly hold them because of their flightless. But now he knows he has to give them a finger for their tail they are really relaxed even in his hands. They are as docile as can be and really very curious.

Our common boa I got when she was 18 months old and she is far more nippy and nervous, but I think it is because she was not handled a lot as baby and changed owner several times.

If you get your boa as a baby…handle them regularly and with care both boa types can be a very docile snakes…they just have to learn that you are okey…which is easy and than you will never have a problem with them again.

Our girl decided it’s even better to hold her own neck than to hold nothing. I really love their real boa features and attitude but then in a mini package

Ps the first picture was made only seconds after the second one so the stressed position in the second one was only from loosening her from my finger to lay her down

5 Likes

All of my males are super docile, with the exception of some of my super stripe kids. They started out fiesty and it’s taken a couple years to calm down, but they are super chill these days.

1 Like

You mention “The perfect pet snake in opinion at that length” - which one were you talking about?

A boa (Colombian BI) lol. Some may disagree with this but I think they make wonderful first time pet snakes especially if you want something larger.

I’m looking for a boa that won’t get too large, like max 6-7 ft. Do you have any in mind? I know of the dwarf boas