Male reluctant to mate or lock

I have not had this problem before.
My female BEL breed successfully with a lesser last year.
I sold the male lesser and I bought 2 male BELs for the female BEL.
One turned out to be female when I checked but the other is defiantly male and was even producing when I popped him. He is 850g but still nothing.

I always raise humidity. The male has been with the female at times during low pressure, I have put him in just after she shed, I have tried every few weeks since he was 700g and producing. I have even put him in with the female and another male for a short period while observing.

The female BEL has been displaying bowl wrapping and side sitting for a while. Today straight after the male BEL did nothing for 4 days I tried my super banana male to check she was ready, immediate lock.

Any ideas, suggestions to get the Male BEL to lock ?

4 Likes

The suggestion I’ve heard most often is to leave a shed from another male in the tub when you put them both together, so I would suggest that. That said - some females just don’t like some males. I think the female choice has a lot more to do with it than people believe - I’ve had multiple males who would lock anyone I put them with but were rejected and would never lock with a few certain females. Sometimes it happens.

6 Likes

Sigh, thats the answer I didnt want, but you may have a point, she does sit on him or push him to the side.
I will try your other suggestions first too.
Just a bit frustrated getting 2 males to be sure one would work and one of them turning out to be a female

4 Likes

That’s a bummer. I work with corns rather than BPs, but I’ve definitely run into mate preference complications. It’s a thing. On the other hand, maybe next season, the “rejected” animal will be suddenly desirable. Who knows?

3 Likes

There must be something else i can try :cry:

Maybe if I put on some get it on music :smirk:

3 Likes

Back when I started being corns, the joke was always to play some Barry White. Can’t hurt, right? :notes: :joy:

4 Likes

Pop a different breeder male and hopefully you’ll get some hemipenal casts, rub those on the females back, then put the male that won’t breed in with her.

In the olden days we used to have to put 2 males in with the female sometimes to get them to compete a little bit too. BPs won’t hurt each other if the males combat. They just weave around like they’re drunk until they decide who wins.

4 Likes

OK I tried the first hemipenal casts trick. (nice way to say it but still nasty) :nauseated_face:
The male was alot more active to start but he is hiding in the corner again now.
I will give him a few days with her then try the same again next week.
If that fails I will try the drunken master style combat.
Thanks for the tips. Im certainly getting more interest,
I will update

3 Likes