Meet Acnologia, the sweetest black Retic!

Acnologia is my 5 year old Super GC Retic that’s currently over 16ft. One thing I’d like to stress is when looking for the elusive black GC is to be wary of Supers. Not much was known about them at first outside of them first being made at NERD. From what has been observed, Supers have neurological problems similar to a Spider BP or a Jag. The main difference in why they’re not continually produced besides that is that they also have a very high mortality rate. This was not something me or the breeder knew much about at first besides him creating one.

Her wobble was observed within the first week of arriving and we didn’t know why that was going on. He did notice that her head shape was different from the other Retics. Her head is a bit shorter and broader. As time went on, I believe I had heard of some people having Super’s, but they eventually perished within their first 1-3 years. What upset me was how this was starting to become noticed, but it wasn’t talked about much since people were making them to create a black GC over a Motley GC depending on what they had at the time. So there were breeders out there that knew, but weren’t saying anything.

This lead to a huge amount of stress because I got my beautiful girl as a pet. Her first 2 years were extremely painful to watch since she’d have these short spaz-like burst and would also shake her head as if she was freaking out in x2 speed. They don’t grow out of these issues if they make it past 3. There were several times where I thought I was about to lose my girl. All I could do was hold her when she was having her spaz attacks. My big thing is comforting her and making sure she has a very fulfilling life while she’s here. She’s surpassed the expected timeframe most haven’t made it past, but I don’t take her time for granted. I’m always striving to do as much as I can to make sure she has an amazing life!

She’s one of the sweetest Retics out there. One that would have her beat is Sonny’s Cher! I plan on doing more professional photos with her since I aim to be creative while putting Retics in a very positive light through my the stories and followings I have with my daily shenanigans and life with my bunch, but she’s definitely the star of the show that I hope will see many more awesome years by my side!!

25 Likes

Wow, she’s such a beautiful snake! I hope that her quality of life stays as awesome as possible for as long as possible. Thanks for sharing her story with us. :blush:

2 Likes

I agree she’s beautiful.
Also good on you for staying by her when things got tough.
You’re reaping the benefits of it now.
Enjoy it and her to the fullest.
Also, best of luck in your photography endeavors!
Those photos are very nice!:nerd_face::+1:

3 Likes

Sucks we cant have those here in Florida. Hopefully one day I can own one.

2 Likes

She is gorgeous! And I love your photo shoots - so fun!

2 Likes

Absolutely love this :metal:
Really amazing shoot :fire::fire:

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Love her name!

3 Likes

That’s a healthy looking snake, and she’s a sweet precious angel! I dig it.The neurological wobble is sad, I’m so sorry. I have a jaguar carpet, she’s derpy but such a sweet girl, like yours. I’m glad she’s doing better. Thanks for sharing your lovely photographs of such a gorgeous snake, and thanks for being such a good keeper, it warms my heart to see.

I like that you took the time to pose with her; Most of us don’t do anything like that, I certainly don’t, nice job.

2 Likes