’Montana’ the Monitor (Ackie) 🦎

Do ackie partho babies usually survive? I know with many reptiles (who don’t normally reproduce via parthenogenesis), partho babies often don’t live that long, sadly. Just curious if that’s the case for ackies, since I don’t know much about them.

Cool biz. How big of an enclosure will an adult ackie require? I’d love to get one.

It really depends on who you ask. Some people say you can get away with a 4’ x 2’ x 2’(I do not personally agree with that), others say a 6’x 3’ x 4’, but I like to go in the middle and go with a 5’ x 3’ x 3’. Ackie monitor enclosure size is a pretty controversial thing though, so I’d do a lot of research first and not just believe what I say.

2 Likes

So Monty is in a 4x3x2 atm, as you can see it’s big for him, but we are actually upgrading it so he’s got bigger, plus we would like a pair eventually so have to go bigger then!

Defo the bigger the better, 5/6 long x 3/4 x3/4 I’d say.

And make sure bottom is deep for lots of substrate for burrowing! :grin:

2 Likes

Not an understatement lol

2 Likes

GUYS. SHES MONTANA!! :joy::joy::black_heart:

4 Likes

Congratulations on a female! Are you gonna get a male to fertilize some of her future eggs?

1 Like

We will be yeah, very happy we finally know gender :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

She’s a sweetheart!

1 Like

Yay! It is a girl! Can’t wait to see some of her babies in the future!

2 Likes

I told you it was a female lmao. Congrats.

2 Likes

Honestly from the day she came home I was like that ain’t a he. So she’s been Called he/she and it haha.
And then you and a couple others said female but was told until you see eggs you can’t be sure!
So happy we know :joy::black_heart:

1 Like

I adore this queen! :black_heart:

6 Likes

I want you to know that you have cursed me with this thread. I am now fully convinced that an ackie will be my ‘large’ lifetime lizard and I have already started shopping and creating my hyperfixation google doc of sources and information :joy:

3 Likes

I am glad I have helped! :rofl:

She’s the sweetest too.
Daves a bit of a d, but getting better :joy:

3 Likes

I’d love to see more pictures of your full set up if you don’t mind sometime. There are of course suggestions online but I do love to see MM people showing off their hard work. Plus people on here tend to go above the minimum and its awesome to see!

3 Likes

That’s it atm, they’re all cork tubes too, it’s 4x3x2 atm, and Believe it or not there was water in that this morning :woman_facepalming:t2: She’s digging, and she always messes it up haha. It’s daily I swear!

It will be changed this year though, more shelving, wood proper secured in I think too, more wood, and I mean I’d like to find plants but… :joy: we made that one and background etc ourselves, but We are making a it bigger (6x3x2) whilst we start to make our tree monitor viv :smiling_face_with_tear:

We’ve tried plants etc too and none survive, really want to find something they can’t destroy but we’ve tried and failed every time. Only viv with no plants so it’s gutting…

3 Likes

Honestly, I got a try to find some room for one of these monitors.

2 Likes

Gorgeous set up, and I totally feel your pain about the plants situation. Could something leggy like pothos be fixed in a self contained pot in the upper corners and allowed to drape down a bit or do the ackies crawl up the backscape as well? Some animals I swear think its funny to destroy any greenery when its to BENEFIT them, little brats! :joy:

2 Likes

Oh they climb and scale it all, we’ve tried pothos, succulent types too, Cactus etc and all for destroyed :cry:

1 Like