’Montana’ the Monitor (Ackie) 🦎

It really depends on who you ask. Some people say you can get away with a 4’ x 2’ x 2’(I do not personally agree with that), others say a 6’x 3’ x 4’, but I like to go in the middle and go with a 5’ x 3’ x 3’. Ackie monitor enclosure size is a pretty controversial thing though, so I’d do a lot of research first and not just believe what I say.

2 Likes

So Monty is in a 4x3x2 atm, as you can see it’s big for him, but we are actually upgrading it so he’s got bigger, plus we would like a pair eventually so have to go bigger then!

Defo the bigger the better, 5/6 long x 3/4 x3/4 I’d say.

And make sure bottom is deep for lots of substrate for burrowing! :grin:

2 Likes

Not an understatement lol

2 Likes

GUYS. SHES MONTANA!! :joy::joy::black_heart:

4 Likes

Congratulations on a female! Are you gonna get a male to fertilize some of her future eggs?

1 Like

We will be yeah, very happy we finally know gender :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

She’s a sweetheart!

1 Like

Yay! It is a girl! Can’t wait to see some of her babies in the future!

2 Likes

I told you it was a female lmao. Congrats.

2 Likes

Honestly from the day she came home I was like that ain’t a he. So she’s been Called he/she and it haha.
And then you and a couple others said female but was told until you see eggs you can’t be sure!
So happy we know :joy::black_heart:

1 Like

I adore this queen! :black_heart:

6 Likes

I want you to know that you have cursed me with this thread. I am now fully convinced that an ackie will be my ‘large’ lifetime lizard and I have already started shopping and creating my hyperfixation google doc of sources and information :joy:

3 Likes

I am glad I have helped! :rofl:

She’s the sweetest too.
Daves a bit of a d, but getting better :joy:

3 Likes

I’d love to see more pictures of your full set up if you don’t mind sometime. There are of course suggestions online but I do love to see MM people showing off their hard work. Plus people on here tend to go above the minimum and its awesome to see!

3 Likes

That’s it atm, they’re all cork tubes too, it’s 4x3x2 atm, and Believe it or not there was water in that this morning :woman_facepalming:t2: She’s digging, and she always messes it up haha. It’s daily I swear!

It will be changed this year though, more shelving, wood proper secured in I think too, more wood, and I mean I’d like to find plants but… :joy: we made that one and background etc ourselves, but We are making a it bigger (6x3x2) whilst we start to make our tree monitor viv :smiling_face_with_tear:

We’ve tried plants etc too and none survive, really want to find something they can’t destroy but we’ve tried and failed every time. Only viv with no plants so it’s gutting…

3 Likes

Honestly, I got a try to find some room for one of these monitors.

2 Likes

Gorgeous set up, and I totally feel your pain about the plants situation. Could something leggy like pothos be fixed in a self contained pot in the upper corners and allowed to drape down a bit or do the ackies crawl up the backscape as well? Some animals I swear think its funny to destroy any greenery when its to BENEFIT them, little brats! :joy:

2 Likes

Oh they climb and scale it all, we’ve tried pothos, succulent types too, Cactus etc and all for destroyed :cry:

1 Like

Oh dear! I imagine they would dislodge air plants from nooks and crannies too, hmmmm…
Well if I come up with a stroke of genius I’ll let you know but they’ve got me beat :joy: gorgeous enclosure regardless and your pair is BEAUTIFUL

2 Likes

I will take any ideas as I’m out of them :joy:

Thankyou, they get along so well too :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes