Morph markings

New snake owner. Bought these from our local pet store but they didn’t have much to the description. The black pastel was only listed as that with Het Ultramel. The bigger male was listed as a Super lace black black vanilla. Both look they have more going on but could use some help. He has a white ring on his tail which looks like Het pied and his bottom half looks leopard maybe.

4 Likes

@saleengrinch @ashleyraeanne

Better pictures would help for sure. I don’t personally work with lace but I’m not seeing anything that leads me to believe that you have any additional genes in either snake @krysamccormack what are you seeing that makes you think they are anything other than what you purchased them as?And welcome to the community.

1 Like

Guide in asking for Morph Identification Help

1 Like

If the second animal is supposed to be a BlkPastel then I have some bad news for you

Ringer marks like these are not definitive proof of an animal being het Pied. There are many morphs that are prone to them, especially in combination and the BlkPastel complex is one of them

1 Like

I didn’t think it was black pastel either but wanted to see better pictures.

Thank you for taking a look and I took a few more pictures that can hopefully help.

Thank you for the feedback. I posted a few more pics of her with better lighting which hopefully helps.

Well I don’t think that’s black pastel imo. So would be a het ultramel. But given it was misidentified as black pastel I don’t know if I would bet on it.

Gotcha, so would you just label her as a normal? What is it that you’re looking at as the key identifier telling you she’s not pastel?

Color and pattern are off for me doesn’t look like black pastel. And I would probably label it as possible het ultramel if I was doing a ultramel project. If not would just treat it as a normal. Also depends on the source I got her from. If it was a breeder I trusted, I would trust it to be het ultramel.

1 Like

BlkPastels have a very distinct alteration to the alien heads as well as marking within the alien heads. Your animal shows neither of those. BlkPastel has a darker colour overall with a different contrast to them. Again, your animal does not show these. BlkPastel tends towards a reduction in the dorsal patterning. Your animal has fairly strong dorsal markings

I would disagree with Shaun on calling her a possible het Ultramel because that label carries implication that we cannot guarantee (namely, that at least one of the parents to this animal was het Ultramel). Given that it is a pet shop animal with no history and that it was improperly labeled to begin with, the safest thing to do is to label her as a normal

2 Likes