My first ever clutch

that egg has felt that way since it was layed when i last candled it it did have an embryo so hopefully it does still hatch!

4 Likes

Hopefully so. It is pretty astonishing how horrible some eggs can appear on the outside, all the while a beautiful baby is developing inside!

4 Likes

that sure is true. ive heard some stories where some eggs were covered with mold and still hatched. its pretty amazing how hardy they can be. but hearing something and actually experiencing it is different which is probably why im still worrying lol

Edit: also if the really tiny egg does hatch im thinking of naming it gumball lol

4 Likes

You’re SO right! Huge difference!

Fwiw, here’s a nasty looking clutch I had from one of my girls last year.

4 Likes

and i thought some of mine look off… How many of them ended up hatching?

4 Likes

There were 10 healthy babies. One egg went bad during incubation. One had twins; one twin failed to develop and was DIE, but the other is on my holdback shelf.

4 Likes

thats very impressive. They sure can be hardy despite the look of the egg. Ill probably candle my eggs on friday and only do it that once this week. If no more eggs have veins at that point is that worrying or would it be normal? From where i have candled them previously i have seen the embryo in the eggs so are there veins that are faint that i just cant see?

4 Likes

Hard to say just what you’ll see with candling as things continue to develop. Basically, stick to incubating everything until they’re either pipping or there is absolutely no possible question that they’re bad. Nature is amazing. Odds are great that you have a beautiful bunch of baby corn snakes in your future.

6 Likes

Hopefully they hatch then! Since im mostly unaware of hets anything could hatch really which is super exciting!

4 Likes

I like that name. Or maybe “Gummie Bear”

4 Likes

@caron @caryl here is an update on the eggs!

The one that I said felt wet and soggy semms to have gotten worse so im continuing to leave the moss off and another egg seems to have a yellowish spot on it. Besides this all the other eggs seem great. Here are some updated candling pics and today is also now week 3 since they were laid

5 Likes

Good morning. Making good progress! Some of those are showing good vein development. It’s hard to see in some of them, though that’s not unusual. Some of them look like they could use a bit of a moisture boost. I would say that you’re quite right to leave the moss covering off the one which looks wet. I would consider giving an extra spritz of moisture to the moss covering the others, though. They’ll likely plump up easily.

And then it’s more waiting. Everyone’s favorite thing! Lol

5 Likes

You might want to consider buying a cheap pen light! Candling is much easier that way, rather than using your phone flashlight.

4 Likes

Woo hoo lookin great! You have got GREAT advice coming your way!!! :+1::heart::snake::blush:

2 Likes

And thank you for the update! Keep them coming!!! :+1::pray:

3 Likes

Ill make sure to add some moisture then thanks!

3 Likes

That would probably be a better idea lol. At the moment im using a spare phone and my main phone to take the pictures

4 Likes

Sure will!

3 Likes

Becuase of the squishy egg being off the moss it is starting to dip in. Should i add a little bit of moss to it or keep it how it is still. All the other eggs are still nice and plump at the moment this egg seems to be the only issue im having besides some staining on some eggs

2 Likes

If an egg is denting in, it’s in need of moisture. Sometimes it’s tough to balance the need for hydration with potential mold control. That said, the one you call the “squishy egg” seems to look different. It’s a different color, you describe a different texture. Hopefully it will make it to hatching. Not every egg does, sadly. As Kathy Love says in her book, that’s why corn snakes lay lots of them. Fingers crossed for yours. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes