My first ever clutch

Nothing to worry about. Sometimes the veins are hard to see. I am about to give what I know is THE hardest advice there is to follow. Try and forget the eggs exist for most of each week. Once you’ve got the humidity and temos settled, just leave them alone. Do check temps and such regularly, but don’t mess with the eggs other than to look at them unless you see a problem. Apart from any potential problems which handling might or might not cause, you’re more likely to notice changes like vein development with a longer time between examinations.

I know, I know, it’s HARD. HAAARRRRRRDD.

8 Likes

Ok ill try my best lol!

5 Likes

Now you need to follow what @caryl says! Amen, end of story! I mean it! lol! :rofl:

5 Likes

I will lol :laughing:

5 Likes

I totally agree. It’s tough advice to follow though! I’ll open the lid and check on my eggs every few days and to let some fresh air in, but otherwise, I don’t handle the eggs at all.

6 Likes

@solarserpents @caron @caryl i completely forgot to mention the paring. It was either reverse okeetee (unknown hets) to a Caramel Red factor diffused tessera 100% het hypo, motley & amel or a snow

5 Likes

Even more to look forward to! The suspense……. :crossed_fingers::thinking::weary:

6 Likes

It’s always exciting to see who emerges from those eggs. Sounds like you have a lot of possibilities for variety!

5 Likes

Kinda worried i might have not put the embryo upright on this egg. Although it is still growing veins and the mold still isn’t spreding. Should i move it to have the embryo the right way or keep it how ive been incubating it? It was hard to get some better pictures because its relatively bright in my room right now

6 Likes

I wouldn’t move it anymore, when they are freshly laid they can and do move around slightly before becoming fixed, so hopefully the position isn’t too bad. It may not hatch or go bad, and it may not have to do with you moving it-sometimes they just don’t continue to develop. I would still give it the benefit of the doubt and try to incubate until it hatches or obviously goes bad. Good luck!

6 Likes

Ok thanks for the help. Its also been orientated like that since i first put it in the incubator and nothing seems to be bad so far so hopefully it does hatch

5 Likes

We all got our fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for you! Now remember the hard part, leave them alone just check on them 1-2 times a week for a quick peek. After getting my bp eggs in the incubator I check on them in like 3-4 days to make sure everything is good in their tub, then check on them every 2 weeks until about day 40 or so then every week for the last couple before hatching.

6 Likes

Ok ill make sure to do that!

5 Likes

Absolutely do NOT move it. There is no “upright” orientation for an embryo in a freshly laid egg. The embryos can and do develop regardless of where the initial veination is visible to us curious humans. After a very short time, say the first couple of days, the eggs shouldn’t be moved barring some type of obviously serious situation. Even then, if eggs simply must be moved - and I mean there is no alternative to moving them - its crucial not to change their orientation to avoid potentially killing the developing embryos.

We have no reasonable way of knowing exactly where each tiny embryo is positioned in its early development. The thing is, shifting the eggs around risks causing serious trouble for these developing babies. Don’t reposition them, don’t change anything about their orientation. They were laid over a week ago. At this point, I wouldn’t pick them up nor handle them at all. Do a visual check once or twice per week, but don’t pick them up any more.

8 Likes

ok ill leave them how they are. the only reason i checked on that egg was to see if the mould had spread but ive left the orientation how it has been

6 Likes

Sounds good. It’s good that the mold isn’t spreading, too. Fingers are crossed for your future pippies! :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Im very excited to see that for the first time! And i just wanted to say thank you for all the help that you and everyone else has given me. Ive learned a lot and will be a lot better prepared for next year!

5 Likes

When i was adding some more moisture to the spagnum moss i noticed this line on one of the eggs? Does this happen sometimes?

5 Likes

Looks to me to be either staining, a moisture issue, or where a crease used to be. How wet are you keeping your sphagnum? It should be just damp, not soggy. Best bet is to compare the egg in all the photos you’ve taken, that might give you a clearer answer of what the mark is.

That said, I know it’s a hard thing to do, but I suggest trying not to overanalyze every little imperfection. Eggs are a lot hardier than you might think. They can even go so far as to spring leaks and still hatch perfectly healthy babies. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

ok thanks for the help! Ill probably post some more pictures off the eggs on Friday to avoid moving them around.

5 Likes