My hybrid collection

A look at Ember in the little bit of sun we got today… you have to look at these guys in the sun to really appreciate the contrast…

12 Likes

Shes such a beautiful snake. Your a lucky man.

2 Likes

Gorgeous snakes! I love the look of every Honduran cross I’ve seen so far!

2 Likes
7 Likes

12 Likes

Awesome pictures! And a great model too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My imperial Honduran is gorgeous.
He is
50%honduran
37.5%pueblan
12.5% Cali king

He is also het aberrant.

7 Likes

You are right. He IS gorgeous!

Blaze’s turn…

4 Likes

That dude is on a different level of beauty :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow! This is STUNNING

3 Likes

Updated photos of Pitch and Cookie. By the way getting some new crosses soon so stay tuned.

8 Likes

I’ve got to say I’m a huge fan of the Pituophis group.
And your Sonoran gopher/corn snake hybrids are truly amazing.
Those are some the the coolest snakes I’ve seen, congratulations!

1 Like

Thanks so much. I’m very happy with how they’ve turned out. You can clearly see the influence of both parents. Later I’ll be mixing some other species into the project to see what it does. Here’s a pic of Hercules I took this morning. Hes so calm I can just take him out and set him down while I clean his tub and he doesnt go anywhere. Hes also got a full belly in the picture.

9 Likes

Since gopher and corn snakes can be bred together, do you think an Eastern rat snake would be able to have viable babies with one? I have a unique albino striped black rat snake (I have never seen anything else like her). If I can’t find a male once she is recovered from her RI the breeder sent her to me with, I might try my hand at making a hybrid if you think it would work.

Here is a picture of her. She is a big girl at 6’1" (185cm). Corn snakes are close cousins with Eastern rat snakes, so I imagine it would work but am not sure. It would give me an excuse to get a gopher snake at least lol.

8 Likes

@ashleyraeanne yes gophers, bull snakes, and pine snakes can breed and produce healthy offspring with any north American rat snake, king snake, or milk snake as far as I am aware. Keep in mind that hybrids can be difficult to move at times as they recieve a lot of hate. I would advise you if you choose to make hybrids think very carefully about what you want to accomplish in the long term by doing so and consider the species carefully as to what traits you’re looking for. Most importantly if you do move the babies onward to ok ther homes make sure you are very clear to the new owners what they are. Also, it’s slightly easier to trick the two species into breeding if you have a pair of each so you can use them to scent one another when pairing. Switching the bedding from one female to the other and rubbing her down with sheds from the other as well as the males helps to convince them they are being introduced to another of their own kind. Lastly, take into consideration the care of the species as often those with drastically different environmental needs have problems. Me personally, if I was going to hybridize that particular rat snake to a Pituophis I’d make it a bull snake and an albino or het albino one at that.

5 Likes

You’re very welcome. That is just an amazing clutch you produced from that pair. I believe hybrids, especially in the colubrid family, have a very bright future in this hobby.
I’d be very proud of producing a clutch like that, and they really are stunning sir.

I’ve always wanted to try and pair a Bairds rat snake with a Barrons racer. In your experience with hybrids, do you think that would have a good chance of producing viable eggs?

2 Likes

Unfortunately new world and old world species are not compatible. The north american species cannot cross at all with most asian species, and the few that have have proven to be sterile.

3 Likes

Thank you.
I assumed that would have been the case, but with previous research I was unable to find a solid answer.
Much appreciate it!

1 Like

8 Likes