Naming Animals, Or Not

I agree that naming reptiles is a fun part of having them. I have a Kenyan Sand boa named Geralt, a BCI/BCC boa Xavier, a beardie named Rocky and then my eight ball pythons: Maleficent (Enchi Spinner Calico Yb Prob. OD Poss het Pied), Monty (Normal), Nico(Pastel G Stripe) , Aetrix (Super Spark), Fox (Mojave), Teddy (66% het Pied) , Belmont (Spider Lesser Leopard het Clown) and Jupiter (Pastel Vanilla Fire).

2 Likes

My wife says everything needs a name. I’m just so bad at naming

We have:
Zoey
Mater (like tomater which unfortunately matches his personality)
Shakespeare
Laveau
Belatrix
Cordelia
Guapo
Chester
Winter
Lilith
Hekate
Pugsley
Merlin
…and then there’s like 30 tarantulas which my wife has named and somehow remembers the name of each one.

3 Likes

This is why I love to name animals, you get attached easily

1 Like

I name all my animals, with the exeption of fish in shoals. :slightly_smiling_face:

Right now I have:

Java - border collie
Beata - brazilian rainbow boa
Lucifer - corn snake
Grisen (The Pig) - hognose
Wilbur - hognose
Lilith - hognose

3 Likes

I’m guessing with a name like that your serpent of the corn must be a morph with a lot of red maybe lol.

1 Like

Yes, he’s quite orange, at least. :laughing:

2 Likes

Beautiful…one day I definitely need some snakes…I want some pretty corns, hognose, and a false water cobra. I just wanna surround myself with a zoo of herps mammals and maybe a bird. I myself will play the representative of Homo sapiens among them.

Too bad he doesnt have limbs to play that guitar lol. How old is he?

I name everything. Even some of the wild animals around me have names. Some of my snakes are Stitch, Nala, Simba, Posidian, Cappuccino. My bearded dragons are Bob and Jazz, the horse is Scooter. The neighborhood doe is named Momma. There is a chickadee I named fuzzy, because it is always puffed up. I am not going to list all 65 snake names 2 of them have swear words for names.

1 Like

my critters usually get named as i think of names.

rabbit wise, all my litters are themed names. my favorite theme right now is astrology.

all my reptile are named for the most part, minus two snakes.

i usually base my tarantulas names off of pure randomness. my favorite is Tiny, the salmon pink birdeater(Lasiodora parahybana)

2 Likes

I really shouldn’t… I try not to because I come up with stuff like ‘Blinkey’ and her brother ‘The Brain’ :no_mouth:

3 Likes

@elementalherps

You need a Pinky :joy:

Pinky and the brain, brain, brain, brain, brain… :rofl:

6 Likes

We name all of our animals. The fish in our saltwater tank all have names. Even the clam! Naming them is half the fun.

3 Likes

And it builds a connection for the keeper

3 Likes

I think naming your pets is something you choose or not choose to do, I personally have to name everything but I do it because I love it.

2 Likes

If you don’t name them, how do they know who you’re talking to when you call them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Or who you are talking to while cleaning their tub?
Lol this is fun

I try multitask. So I’ve got Hideyoshi wrapped about my left arm while trying to clean with the right hand, and he’s like, let me go be nosey and stare in the vivs so I let him wander while trying to stop him climbing up the racks they’re on and being a pain and my gosh I should just wait til the other half or daughters home to hold him :joy:
I swear I’m always telling him off, ‘Hideyoshi no, don’t climb that, no not near the light!’ One time I just caught him from diving in a tank we used to have out there (last year) with turtles in, he literally face dived :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

I tend to put mine in a spare enclosure (if I have one) or tub while I clean them, although some of them stay out to play for a bit… Just depends if my youngest is about

1 Like

That’s also what I do with my leopards (the last time I didn’t a baby took a 5-min “stroll” across the room while I was frantically taking all the tubs out and moving things to catch him).

2 Likes

I’ve gone from naming to not naming more times than I care to count. Finally stuck with naming. All one theme to where there’s no chance of them being repeated unless I just give away what the theme is.