Need help identifying his morph

I need help identifying his morph. I haven’t seen a crestie like him yet and I’m quite confused on what his morph is. His names Apollo, he was sold to me as a white wall. He has a few Dalmatian spots and pinning but I’m not sure about anything else

5 Likes

Waiting to hear from the experts, but I can tell you he is 100% handsome!!

2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t have favourites but out of all the ones I have his colours and patterns are my favourite!

2 Likes

Definitely not a white wall. This one is tough but I would say he is a harlequin pinstripe Dalmatian. @ghoulishcresties @foxreptile can probably give a more definite answer

4 Likes

Oh ok I see! Could you help understand what makes him a harlequin? I thought harlequin have patterns on on the side?

1 Like

Notice how he has the two different shades of yellow? Harlequins usually have more distinct variations but it is still there.

1 Like

Ohh I see. I didn’t know that counted. That’s interesting to know! Thank you

1 Like

Yellow pinstripe dalmatian - The reduction of pattern on his dorsal and laterals could suggest EB, and the reduction of white on his pins nearing the head could suggest he’s (het) phantom, both would have to be proven though. There seems to be some faint quadding but it’s a bit weird so idk about that, wouldn’t consider him a harlequin personally though, since there’s no obvious orange pattern or white pattern on his laterals (orange pattern is supressed on yellow animals). He is quite funky, but unless you’re gonna prove him, i’d just stick with yellow pinstripe dalmatian (:

2 Likes

In case you haven’t picked up on it yet, crested gecko morphs are a lot less set in stone compared to other reptiles :upside_down_face:

What ever he is, he is absolutely gorgeous! Definitely a funky boy you got there.

3 Likes

Pinstripe, Reverse pinstripe Dalmatian with snowflake trait also x

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed explanation. He is quite strange. How would I go about getting him proven if I did, it would be really cool to get him proven!

1 Like

I’ve realised that! They’re quite tricky😅 do you by any chance know anything about what would be good breeding pair for him?

1 Like

Do you mind explaining why you think that? Just so I can understand a bit better!

1 Like

To prove out, you have to produce babies and then look at the phenotypes you produce - Phantom is a recessive with some possible het-markers, so the easiest way to prove it is to pair him to a visual phantom. If that pairing then produces 100% phantoms then he’s a visual phantom, if it produces 50% or so then he’s a het, and if it doesn’t produce any then he does not carry it. The same with EB, though EB is an incomplete dominant. So the easiest way to prove it out, is to pair him with a proven super empty back, then 100% supers would mean he’s a super, 50% supers would mean he’s a het, and no supers would mean he’s not EB. A proven het of either would also work, however it would give you worse odds. I would assume he’s most likely het of both if anything, but his laterals are throwing me off a bit. It’s the pattern-colour that decides the colour of the pinstripe, so the fact that he has very nice white pinstriping, but only faint quadding is a bit weird, looking at the pin I would expect it to be white as well (: I guess it could be that he’s low expression WP with strong enough pinning that the tigering is aligning horizontally where the pattern would’ve been, or that it’s where potential orange pattern would’ve reached if it hadn’t been surpressed? But those are just guesses based on what I know of their genetics, I have absolutely no idea if there’s anything to it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Our knowledge of crested gecko genetics is still relatively new, so there’s a lot that hasn’t been fully understood yet, and since they’re polymorphic by nature, most of them carry a lot of different traits that all interact with each other making it difficult to say a lot for sure by just looking at them :blush:

3 Likes

Just good with cresties :joy:
Helped out many people over years, shops and morphpedia x

He’s got pinstripe, he has the reverse, he’s got spots and he’s got snowflaking.

Each trait is on morphpedia too look through and understand better.

Still some bits to change on there but waiting those to be done xx

3 Likes

I see. It all is quite complicated but I’m getting a better understanding of what he is. I really appreciate the explanation and help. I got him to maybe breed with but I have no idea what morph would suit him the most, what would you recommend I look for?

1 Like

Besides either a phantom and/or an EB to prove him out, I would recommend to breed for something you like yourself. Do you want more or less spots? Do you want another base-colour? What about pattern, do you want more or less? Pinstripe or Tiger? Consider all of these things, and then chose a female that would help you achieve your goal. If you want another base-colour then chose a gecko with another base. If you want more pattern chose a red or dark with more pattern or at least potential (like a phantom out of parents with tons of pattern can still make babies with tons of pattern since the phantom gene just surpresses the pattern visually, the genetics are still there). If you want more spots, chose one with more spots and so forth. I would definitely advise you to get as good of a hang of the genetics as you feel possible beforehand. Would highly recommend checking out Foundation Genetics on LMReptiles’ webpage if you want to learn more about their traits and genetics in general :blush:

2 Likes

I’ll definitely check that out. I love the tigers but I wasn’t sure if they would make good offspring. I was also thinking of pairing him with a dark based harlequin (I’ll show a photo for an example) but I’m also a little worried about how the offspring would come out. I’m mainly trying to get offspring that have his vibrant colours and maybe add more colours and patterns

1 Like

She’s a dark based Harley pin.

You’ll get a mix out of them, and lots of pinners! X

3 Likes