New axdition to the growing zoo

Soooo… I did a thing…

11 Likes

Frilled lizard?

Butterfly Agama. Not much available for care guides, but been doing research. I need to change out the substrate to allow burrowing. But temps and the rest are good.

3 Likes

Gotta say I’m jealous! Been looking into those ourselves.

1 Like

Will see how it pans out. I hate buying animals from petco, but these are not common and i wanted to try my hand at it. Will post updates depending on how things go and if i figure out some about their care that isnt readily available

2 Likes

You got that at a Petco? Wow, the most exotic thing I think I’ve seen at mine was like a Day Gecko

2 Likes

Added a ton of sphag for now, they dont like too much humidity, so i cant wet it too much, but it should mix with the drier eco earth to help make a burrow. I will add some reptisoil as a topcoat tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes, i was very surprised as well. Petco almost never has anything too interesting, though surprisingly a couple monitor lizards have come through it, but im not set up for those. Maybe once i get more space and experience with lizards

3 Likes

Bonus peak into my ever growing collection:

10 Likes

The most exotic thing I have seen at mine was a crested gecko :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I may or may not have learned butterfly agamas are communal…

7 Likes

Oh come on, we need more than just a pic of the box!

4 Likes

7 Likes

Still think it’s pretty awesome you managed to find these at a petco. I usually don’t get a chance to stop into petco, I used to shop at petco/petsmart for the occasional rare freshwater fish they’d get in. These guys look pretty cool. I know nothing about them, how big do they get? What enclosure do you have them in?

2 Likes

20 inches max size (most of it tail). I have them in a 3x2x2. They are in a mixture of eco earth, reptibark, and sphag moss built up thick to allow digging as they are burrowers. They are cousins to bearded dragons, so i need to modify the enclosure a little to add a source of UVB. I dont usually like using chain stores like petco, but i will snipe animals from them if i think they accidentally got something of value xD its where i got my 2 leos as well.

5 Likes

So I’ve only noticed 1 of them in the enclosure for a couple days, decided to make sure there wasnt an escapee, dug around a bit and can say that the substrate i set up for them to burrow worked like a charm. Within about 30 seconds of csrefully proding around i found him in a tunnel he created. He wasnt happy to be disturbed, but now I know they are tunneling which makes me happy to see them able to behave naturally. The other is less shy so is usually basking.

6 Likes

Ok, I’ve purposefully not looked at any of the comments because I wanna test my obscure reptile identification knowledge. Is that a butterfly agama?

5 Likes

Yep :slight_smile: sure is!

4 Likes

The second Agama is starting to settle in, after days burried, hes finally heat bathing with the other.

5 Likes

Maybe my petco is weird. This stuff comes around fairly often

3 Likes